WTB - #4 Smoothing or #5 Jack Plane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB - #4 Smoothing or #5 Jack Plane

If anyone has a used plane or extra they no longer need.
    This will be my first true plane (I do have a small Block Plane) but my next project calls for planing a 24”x60” Sugar Maple piece and for sure I can go to Lee Valley but am hoping someone has one and if my research and reading is correct those might be the best for me to start with both to learn and then do the work.

Thanks
    Dennis
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: WTB - #4 Smoothing or #5 Jack Plane

Either would be a good choice as a first bench plane. That said, the 24X60 piece might need others depending on what state it is in. You probably encountered in your reading there are various degrees of "planing" required to take a piece from rough to finished.

Larry ("sarir" on this forum) has a couple shown on his website and maybe others.
    http://www.grandpastreasureschest.co...nchplanes1.htm

P.S. you might want to start with some smaller projects to hone (!) your hand planing skills
    Last edited by Kayak Jim; 02-10-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jim, I sent them a message to see what they have in stock and I agree, honing (!) my skill before such a job is a good idea!

Comment

I second the suggestion to buy from Larry, great dealer.

Also as a beginner myself I started with a #4 but have noticed that it is still quite tricky to flatten long pieces. I bought a #6 which makes the process MUCH easier (looking for a #7 now ;) ). So while you can definitely do it with a #4 (and many other things) if you are simply looking for a way to flatten larger pieces I would recommend getting a larger size.

Comment

Echo the others with a little extra detail from me. I find that my Veritas LAJ is great for flattening / jointing anything about 2x it's length. I thought that number was made up, but it turns out to be pretty true for me. Others with more skill would get more mileage out of it, but that's roughly what works for me.

To do a 24x60 panel, I'd start with a #4 or my low angle Jack for the rough work, then a #7 to flatten it out. The longer length does an incredible job. Your level of kill might let you get away with just a #5 for all tasks here — I'm not good enough yet!

Comment

I presume your 24 X 60" maple piece is to be a table top or similar? It is quite a stretch to buy your first handplane and end up with a perfectly smooth and flat piece of wood of that size. Not impossible, just there are hurdles to get past.

BTW, a plane is no use without a solid flat bench.

Then sharpening. It is impossible to overstate how important a truly sharp edge is for hand work. People get caught up in flatness of the sole and thickness of the blade, blah, blah blah... but SHARP cures 90% of problems. Oil stones, water stones, diamonds, sandpaper, etc. Any one of these can work but you've got to pick one and get to the point (!) where you can produce an edge that pares end grain pine easily and leaves a perfect surface.

Then there are some skills to be refined. Reading the grain of the wood. Setting the frog, chip breaker and blade. Getting the power of your legs into the cut. Starting and finishing the stroke without rounding off the work piece. Skewing the plane to handle gnarly grain. Etc. Rob Cosman used to sell an excellent set of videos teaching this stuff. Maybe there are good ones for free on the internet. Maybe you can find a local mentor.

Why do all this? Nothing beats a perfectly planed surface. Sanded surfaces just look fuzzy by comparison. And you get to work in a quiet, dust free shop where it is just you, a sharp tool and the wood. No screaming, dust-spewing machines. If you cut yourself, it is not a machine trying to pull you in and take the whole arm.

Craig
            ErikM, GearGoat and 2 others like this.

Comment

Thank you Craig. Great info. Many members here have expressed the same points. SHARP is the key for sure. We've probably all been told at one time or another that "It's too sharp, I might cut myself!" I know I have. Nothing is further from the truth. Dull is dangerous!

My work bench is roughly 3 x7, Hard Maple. I flattened it by hand and enjoyed every minute. I used a progression of OLD planes. Razor sharp. #4, #5. #6, #7. It was relatively flat to start but the entire surface needed to be done. Take your time and if you need to practise buy a construction grade 2x4 and go for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1111.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1223617
              Les Groeller, GearGoat and VincentC like this.
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks Craig, Terry & Rusty - I know I will be practicing first, and having a solid flat surface to begin with also makes sense. I’ll poke around online and see if I can find anything from Rob Cosman as well. Looks like it will be more than 1 plane I will be getting! I’m excited to start the project but will take my time, I don’t move in to my new office for about 4 weeks and will use a card table if I have to, I have no intention on rushing.

The wife yesterday when I was telling her about the planes did not realize I was talking about hand planes and suggested taking the piece to someone or a business and have them run it through a large commercial planer. I was a bit shocked she would suggest it and I tried to politely let her realize half (or more) of the joy was doing the work myself... and then she realized I was referring to finding hand planes not purchasing a larger mechanical planer!

Comment

There is also an antique tool show coming in April in Pickering. You will definitely fine some really good Stanley user planes, and meet many people that will love to talk about them.

http://ontarioantiquetools.com/

also if you are looking for the new stuff (not to suggest that it is better. A fine tuned sharp blade plane can do amazing things in the right hands.) there is a woodworking show in Toronto at the end of February. You will definitely see Rob Cosman there and lee Valley Tools.

https://woodshows.com/toronto/
                  GearGoat likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ccelenza View Post
                    There is also an antique tool show coming in April in Pickering. You will definitely fine some really good Stanley user planes, and meet many people that will love to talk about them.

http://ontarioantiquetools.com/

also if you are looking for the new stuff (not to suggest that it is better. A fine tuned sharp blade plane can do amazing things in the right hands.) there is a woodworking show in Toronto at the end of February. You will definitely see Rob Cosman there and lee Valley Tools.

https://woodshows.com/toronto/
                    Thanks Claudio, I think I know what I’m doing that weekend now!
                    D

Comment

I have an old tune up #4 and a 5 I could let go - Im in Toronto though

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys - I checked out Rob Cosman’s website and have had an email with him also, will likely get one of the plans he has.

Comment

Working...
                        X