This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Lathe

I'm looking to expand my woodworking portfolio to include wood turning (not a mini lathe, first project will include spindles approx 26" in length), I've seen some mastercraft lathes on Kijiji and other makes some of which which seem reasonably well priced I'm just not sure whether they would be worth the investment, I'm not looking to spend a lot (around $200 + or -, I would also need to purchase some chisel).
    If you have anything that fits the bill let me know.

Thanks

Vince
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wanted: Lathe

I have a mastercraft 37” lathe, it has treated me quite well. It is far from a professional quality lathe, but it has a lot of features that a pro lathe would have.
    -variable speed is awesome and a must have, but the slowest rpm it goes is 600 which is a little fast for bowl turning.
    - headstock does pivot for outboard turning, but it seems pretty cheap and I’m too scared to try it on mine.
    -the knobs and handles are all cheap plastic so watch out for broken knobs if you’re looking at them.
    -when you are looking at used ones, ask to see it running and try the speed control all the way up and down a few times to make sure the reeves drive are operating smoothly, unfortunately when the Reeves go I’m pretty sure you cannot get parts for them anymore.

All in all I am happy with my buy and if you’re just looking to do a few turning projects it should serve you well.
    Just keep your chisels sharp and don’t ask more of it then it can handle and you’ll be fine.

Colin

Edit****. Sorry I just realized this was in the swap meet section and figured I’d better mention that I am not selling mine I’m just offering advice ***
    Last edited by Redbull1989; 11-06-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Colin, I was hoping for input about what to look for in a used one.

Vince

Comment

Right now there are 2 Beaver lathes on KIJIJI in Ottawa, good quality lathes that will let you turn spindles as the are, if you don’t like turning later, you sell these for the same price you pay now, there are gouges and other pieces with at least one of them.

I would advice NOT to get a reaves drive lathe, too many problems with them, plus you can’t get parts anymore, it is the reason you see these things for those low prices (you get what you pay for it, maybe, if you are lucky) and you will have a hard time to unload it if ever.

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks Leo, that's the kind of info I was hoping for.

Vince

Comment

find a beaver 3400 lathe i agree

Comment

Those are great learn-to-turn-and-then-do-some-more lathes. I don't believe anyone finds them great as a 'professional' lathe after the initial learning processes, without some changes like jack shafts and other improvements.

Noel
              "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
              'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
              "
              John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I have 3 Beaver lathes ( please don’t ask why)
                one is at my cottage near Irondale. It has a stand and motor and works well. If you can come and get it it’s yours. I also have some chisels. We can still drive in but the road will be closed by the end of Nov.
                SeanB01, guylavoie and 2 others like this.

Comment

Harry, that is a very generous offer I will let you know shortly if I will be able to make it before the end of November.

Vince

Comment

Harry, PM sent.

Vince

Comment

the beaver is a great choice, bearings and belt are both easy and cheap to replace if needed.
                      you will need the 4 speed motor pulley, any 1725 rpm will do fine, 1/2 hp or greater
                      i used a beaver for several years, i added a jackshaft for more lower speeds and a reversing switch. i built it all up on a big heavy white oak stand
                      turned all kinds of stuff, from pens to 12 inch bowls for about 10 years
                      nothing broke or wore out and the person you bought it is still using it.
                      my shop is a beaver lodge
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Thanks everybody for the input, I did in fact take Harry up on his offer and dropped into Irondale to pick it up on Sunday.
                        Harry, it was a pleasure meeting you and if I have any questions I will be sure to ask.

This post can be closed.

Vince

Comment

Nice to meet you. I’m glad you could lift it. I hope you do well with it.
                          it was good to beat the snow. Toronto looks like Ottawa today.

Comment

Working...
                          X