This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique Vintage Swedish Wood Workbench

This Workbench is fully functional and has 2 vices with wooden screws. Design period 1920-1940.
    This Workbench is one of the best preserved from this time period and now available on the market.
    It shows only light wear consistent with the age and use. The Workbench has served it's owners very well and is now looking for a new home where it can continue to be of service or where it can retire and just show it's beauty together with other antique and unique pieces of equipment/furniture.
    Dimensions: L=58 1/2", W=24" & 16 1/2", H=29 1/2"
    The price for this Unique Show Piece is only $3,495.00
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Antique Vintage Swedish Wood Workbench

Just to clarify, is it the entire bench that is 80-100 years old, or is it just the bench top? I ask because that base looks a lot newer than the top.
    Mark in Burlington, WCraig and 2 others like this.

Comment

The entire bench is of the same age.

Comment

As a pragmatic woodworker, the first thing I would do after acquiring a bench like that is to flatten the top, (actually I wouldn’t) which would obviously ruin the patina and overall ascetic of the piece. I would think you are marketing this as a piece of “furniture” rather than it’s intended function as a workbench, .... hence the price. It’s a nice piece. Hope you find a buyer. Have you tried advertising in Architectural Digest?
        John@Hamilton likes this.
        Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

Nice bench but I am with Ryan the base looks to have a different patina and the growth rings do not look like old growth timber. I presume the bolt near the vise was put in at a much later date or it would have a square head and the washer would be larger.
          WCraig likes this.
          Bob just past Ayr

Comment

I hate to pile on here but the threads on the screw of the front vice and the contact point where it presses (I'm not sure but would that be considered the jaw liner?) look altogether too fresh. Also, the sides of the benchtop do look as if some refinishing has taken place at some point.
            Last edited by JustSomeGuy; 02-06-2020, 08:53 PM.
            Erno52 likes this.

Comment

That base doesn't even look remotely like it was the original.

Comment

Top looks like maple and the bottom looks like fir.

http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Originally posted by stotto View Post
                  Top looks like maple and the bottom looks like fir.
                  Yes. And the base is just way too pristine. The top is all hacked up and the base looks like it's hardly been touched.

Comment

Ok folks, I think enough possible defects have been clearly identified, so how about we just let it be and let any buyer deal with it .... as per the swap meet rules.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
                      Ok folks, I think enough possible defects have been clearly identified, so how about we just let it be and let any buyer deal with it .... as per the swap meet rules.

cheers
                      Sounds good John. And with all that's been said, if you went into the kind of store that sells such furniture, I'm sure you'd pay a whole lot for a piece like that.

Comment

I feel I need to add some more information to correct most of the comments posted by others.
                        This workbench was purchased around 1945-1950 from the manufacturer Sjöbergs Workbenches AB in Sweden by my father in law. The workbench was still in original condition when I acquired the workbench in 1969 and it came with me to Canada 1975. I have not added or taken off anything during my ownership. However I have looked after the workbench and kept it clean and well protected. The workbench has had an easy life with me and I have not used it that much. This is why I can claim it is one of the best preserved from that time period. Some facts from the manufacturer: Top is made of Beech wood with the end pieces being made of Birch. The lower support structure is made of Pine wood. The hexagon bolts were available in Sweden well before this workbench was made. The wood screws and clamping plates are made of Birch.
                        The manufacturer Sjöbergs Workbenches AB is still in business and will celebrate 100 years in 2022. I appreciate all the interest in my Workbench and it is very Unique.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification;. Sometimes a photo can be very deceiving. I have taken photos of pieces I have made and a certain area will look completely different in the photo than they do to the naked eye.Good luck with your sale.i don’t know if you are on Facebook but their MARKETPLACE is an excellent place to sell goods.

Brian
                          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

This Unique Workbench has 1268 views, 12 responses, 0 likes but no takers. What is wrong?

Comment

It is a nice bench but the price is too high for the market you are trying to sell in. I could build myself one hell of a bench for that money and I don’t have space for a display piece at those dollars.
                              Last edited by wintek; 02-21-2020, 03:58 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X