Wanted : Paint sprayer of some sort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted : Paint sprayer of some sort

I think I am ready to pull the trigger on some sort or paint spraying device. I am leaning towards the HomeRight sprayer for cost and use for myself. I thought I would put out a post here, as I've seen a few go through but if anyone is looking at selling their setup, and its under the $200 mark I would be interested in purchasing it. I am looking at spray painting vanity's (shaker style set ups for bathrooms) and other projects of that sort.

I understand it is entry level budget ect, but that's what I am and where I am at. If you have one your looking to part with let me know.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wanted : Paint sprayer of some sort

Is this the contrivance you're considering?
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003VKFDEO

Have you tried an air-sprayer? They can be had quite cheaply and if your finish is thin enough, work quite well with a bit of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post
      Is this the contrivance you're considering?
      https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003VKFDEO

Have you tried an air-sprayer? They can be had quite cheaply and if your finish is thin enough, work quite well with a bit of practice.
      That is the one lol.

I have the critter ( https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...xoC8QsQAvD_BwE ) but honestly, I find it just doesn't keep up well with paint. even with floetrol thinning it out a bunch. I believe that is in line with what you were suggesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscawd View Post
        That is the one lol.
        Well, $86 with free shipping on Amazon... At that price, I'd buy it new if I really wanted to try it.

That said, last week I spent 3 hours with a $150 seal kit to rebuild the pump on our big Titan sprayer at work.
        Granted, this is a *much* bigger machine than you're talking about (capable of getting thick products over 3000 PSI) and it has sprayed an enormous amount of product in its life, but it's also a $4000 machine.

But having seen how quickly the pneumatic pumps fail in the cheap ($150 MasterCrap/etc) air compressors, and the time/cost of rebuilding the "real" sprayers, I'd be concerned about ever getting my money out of such an inexpensive (cheap) machine. (I compare air compressors to airless paint sprayers as they both contain electric motors, a mechanical linkage to turn the rotary motion into a reciprocating action, and a piston system that involves seals and check valves to generate flow/pressure).

I have no experience with airless sprayers this small, but in your shoes, I'd lean towards trying to push my budget a bit with the goal of stepping away from the home-gamer junk and into the pro-sumer market, perhaps something like this: https://www.lowes.ca/product/airless...sprayer-851339. I'm not recommending this unit specifically, just offering other options close to your budget.

I can't speak to your preferences, but I like spending a bit more on gear that can be fixed, and as such would ensure that rebuild kits were available, regardless of which system I chose.

Edit: I'd also want a machine that was relatively easy to open up to clean - my experience suggests that regardless of how much soapy warm water you run through them, you eventually get dried bits in the passages that prevent good flow, prevent check-valves from seating properly, etc.

Edit: And the tip needs to be serviceable/replaceable. If you get a good nick in the outlet (typically while trying to dig some dried paint out of it with a pick) and you end up with a heavy spot in your pattern that's prone to dripping and streaking.
        Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 06-20-2021, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Do you have an air compressor as their are HVLP options within your budget. I would also look seriously at the Peasants Lowe’s link over your original thoughts. Just charge a little more for those vanities you are thinking of building.

Brian
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
            Do you have an air compressor as their are HVLP options within your budget. I would also look seriously at the Peasants Lowe’s link over your original thoughts. Just charge a little more for those vanities you are thinking of building.

Brian
            I do have a compressor, but from what I have read and understand, what The peasants suggesting is more practical, pancake compressor's are not the best to use with HVLP guns as they do not provide the required pressures to atomize the paint.

I'll be honest, the budget has no reason or reality to it other than throwing a number out and seeing what's available. I fully agree with the cleaning comments though, it is part of what is driving me nuts with the critter, as I originally used oil based paint, and it did not clean well. I know the Fuji system is very popular, but I was hoping to keep it a little lower in budget then what they offer.

As for charging more, that won't work lol. I am making my own vanity's and cabinets and same for my parents and in laws. I would charge them, but then I would be terrified they would charge me back for all the daycare and babysitting and I cannot afford that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscawd View Post
              pancake compressor's are not the best to use with HVLP guns as they do not provide the required pressures to atomize the paint.
              HVLP guns typically require at most 40PSI - most compressors are capable of reasonable airflow at low pressures.

I fully agree with the cleaning comments though, it is part of what is driving me nuts with the critter, as I originally used oil based paint, and it did not clean well.
              If you consider an HVLP gun is difficult to clean, you should consider using a brush or roller - an airless sprayer is definitely more work to keep clean - and I suspect that the corded, one-part, airless sprayer you originally mentioned would be even more difficult to maintain...

Edit:
              Graco and Titan both have offerings around $600 (maybe ranging $500-$800) that feature a hose/gun and an intake tube that can be hung over several sizes of paint pail. I see them regularly in use by the folks who prime/paint interiors of new homes, as well as lacquer all the cabinets, built-ins, etc. I don't know specific model numbers, but the popular ones the painters carry around with them are in that that ballpark. If they were junk, I wouldn't see nearly as many of them, if there were cheaper reliable options, I'd see those instead. Pieceworkers always manage to find the best way to make/save a buck. If I were ready to pull the trigger on an airless sprayer, this is type of machine I'd be looking at, but so far, my workflow hasn't required more than an HVLP gun, aerosol cans, and a brush/roller.
              Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 06-20-2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post
                HVLP guns typically require at most 40PSI - most compressors are capable of reasonable airflow at low pressures.

If you consider an HVLP gun is difficult to clean, you should consider using a brush or roller - an airless sprayer is definitely more work to keep clean - and I suspect that the corded, one-part, airless sprayer you originally mentioned would be even more difficult to maintain...

Edit:
                Graco and Titan both have offerings around $600 (maybe ranging $500-$800) that feature a hose/gun and an intake tube that can be hung over several sizes of paint pail. I see them regularly in use by the folks who prime/paint interiors of new homes, as well as lacquer all the cabinets, built-ins, etc. I don't know specific model numbers, but the popular ones the painters carry around with them are in that that ballpark. If they were junk, I wouldn't see nearly as many of them, if there were cheaper reliable options, I'd see those instead. Pieceworkers always manage to find the best way to make/save a buck. If I were ready to pull the trigger on an airless sprayer, this is type of machine I'd be looking at, but so far, my workflow hasn't required more than an HVLP gun, aerosol cans, and a brush/roller.
                I definitely mixed up pressure and volume, even with the critter sprayer it is pretty slow going. Not to say impossible to use with HVLP or the critter, but I would say every 20-30 seconds I have to pause while it catches up. But yes, it does work on low pressures.

I have used brush and roller up until now. I am happier with the job that comes from a sprayer.....when it works. Just looks more even and clean.
                ThePracticalPeasant likes this.

Comment

I've used the Wagner at work and was impressed. https://www.wagnerspraytech.com/prod...ontrol-series/
                  Jerome
                  Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                  CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
                  1) A person who solves problems you can't.
                  2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

I have the home right sprayer offered from lee valley (now earlex I believe). I used it to finish a vanity with clear water based polyurethane and I just completed a fireplace built in with white waterborne lacquer.

It did absolutely fantastic with the water based poly, I’m no finishing expert but I didn’t thin at all and it atomized no problem. The white waterborne lacquer was great as well but it is a very difficult gun to clean. I have another fireplace and vanity lined up and after those jobs I’ll be upgrading to a turbine and gravity fed hvlp set up.

If you only plan on shooting one type of material through it I would say you’re fine but it’s just not ideal for switching colours.

edit: also there is no filter at the end of the siphon stem, meaning you absolutely need to run your spray material through a fine mesh filter hovered over the reservoir. It’s good practice to do this anyways but the kremlin pump system I’ve used in a commercial shop previously had a filters on the siphon stem. I know the airless setups also have this same filter.
                    Last edited by Fairweather; 06-21-2021, 11:27 PM.
                    Moscawd likes this.

Comment

Well, this can be closed. I took the advice and got the graco mangum from HD with a gc. It really isn't as bad for cleaning as the critter was, that one was by and far worse in my opinion, although that was with oil based paint too...

Either way, the first shelf looks amazing
                      ThePracticalPeasant likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X