WTB - Wood lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB - Wood lathe

I’m looking to buy a used wood lathe. Preferably something I could turn wood baseball bats on (up to 38-40”).

I had been looking for a lathe about a year ago, did a fair amount of research, but have sadly forgotten some terminology. I’m looking for a lathe with a newer style headstock, with interchangeable heads or chucks, unlike the Beaver-style lathes which seem plentiful.

feel free to send a message!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: WTB - Wood lathe

Just out of curiosity...are you looking to use a homemade bat for league play or just hobby to make one? My boys play ball and I've wondered if I could make them their own bat once they get to Bantam age-group when they make the switch from Aluminum.

You'll probably need something with a Bed Extension for a 38"~40" turning work piece.

Comment

I was looking for something good enough to practice off a tee with, and save my good bats for games. But essentially, yes, a homemade bat good enough to use in game

Comment

Originally posted by burlingj77 View Post
        Just out of curiosity...are you looking to use a homemade bat for league play or just hobby to make one? My boys play ball and I've wondered if I could make them their own bat once they get to Bantam age-group when they make the switch from Aluminum.

You'll probably need something with a Bed Extension for a 38"~40" turning work piece.
        You might want to check with your son's league and even see if they allow home-made bats to begin with. There are all sorts of rules with bats. I recall buying one one time and was told it wasn't regulation for his group/age and he couldn't use it during actual games.

EDIT: Here's a C&P from my son's old league here in Ajax I just quickly dug up.

D.7. No softball bats are permitted in any division. If a player is found using an illegal bat, the player will be called out and the bat will be removed from the game. Bantam/Midget division players only are permitted to use wooden baseball bats.
        The minus 3 bat restriction applies for the Midget division and minus 5 bat restriction applies for the Bantam division.
        Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 06-21-2021, 03:40 PM.
        Kevin

Comment

My dad built one and he made all kinds of things with it if you are interested in a non-label lathe and one that's near Brockville, Ontario. He passed away a couple of years ago and his shop is still full of tools that I should be finding a home for. I don't know the bed length at this time but he has everything with it but, the next time I am out to visit mom I will measure it if you are interested. Message me if you are.
          Thanks

Comment

I'm late to this but I turned a bunch of bats for my son and a couple of his teammates when he played travel ball. He still plays in a men's league so I usually give him a new bat for Christmas. You can order billets online or cut your own blanks for 12/4 stock; common bat dimensions can be found online, and you'll also need a good caliper and a digital scale. Ash bats tend to last longer for him, and are good practice bats, but hard maple has the best pop.
            Tim
            ThePracticalPeasant likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Tim W C View Post
              I'm late to this but I turned a bunch of bats for my son and a couple of his teammates when he played travel ball. He still plays in a men's league so I usually give him a new bat for Christmas. You can order billets online or cut your own blanks for 12/4 stock; common bat dimensions can be found online, and you'll also need a good caliper and a digital scale. Ash bats tend to last longer for him, and are good practice bats, but hard maple has the best pop.
              Tim
              I wa adjust coming on the forum to ask for help with sourcing bat blanks and saw this post, great timing!

Where could I order bullets online? I found a place in Quebec that sells semi-pro and pro stock billets, but only to bat manufacturers.

Comment

I’ve always cut my own from 12/4 stock, but it looks like you can order from woodbillet.com. I also found this resource helpful when I was starting out: https://www.pennstateind.com/library/BBAT_ins.pdf
                If you’re in London anytime soon, I’m pretty sure I have an ash blank that you could have to get you started (unless you’re a Yankees fan).
                Tim

Comment

Do you need to use a steady when turning something as long as a bat? Any imbalance in the blank could cause a lot of wobble.

Comment

Like this? Took a quick pic while I was cutting the lawn. The bed is approx 5 feet long from the head end.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X