Or is it its vintage appeal?
    Rust Junkie ... aka "ooh, not shiny".
    sophien likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

• Re: Golden Oldies (and some not so golden) on Kijiji #1

Originally posted by sophien View Post

If it wasn't so far away I'd grab it.
      Serioulsy? There is a "cool" factor there? Or is it its vintage appeal? Would you use it?[/QUOTE]

I had one, it was an awesome saw.

The variable height aspect of it did not work for me and my shop setup (big outfeed table) but they are a great saw.
      Because the arbour (part that holds the blade) is rigidly mounted and the table moves around it its a very solid saw.
      No vibration at all.

Nathan

Comment

Hm, Nathan. Did you use it for fine cuts, to make fine furniture? I thought you were pulling my leg.

Comment

Hm, Nathan. Did you use it for fine cuts, to make fine furniture? I thought you were pulling my leg.
          sophien, one thing we will never do, to you or anybody else, jokingly or otherwise, regardless of gender, experience etc etc is lead you astray.
          if a comment is made in jest, it will be made obvious

and a general comment to all, not at all to anyone from quebec

remember, what might be obviously funny in english might have a different interpretation in french or anybody else who's first language is not english
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

That Italian drill press would look very good next to my Harrison metal lathe, but again way too far for me.

Comment

If you need a horizontal milling machine Jacques, I pass up many in the Montreal area. I have a beautiful Harrison that would look Even nicer beside your lathe! Is it 13''?
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                If you need a horizontal milling machine Jacques, I pass up many in the Montreal area. I have a beautiful Harrison that would look Even nicer beside your lathe! Is it 13''?
                Rob
                Rob, this is the one that I have 9'' swing, beautifull machine Click image for larger version

Name:	harrison metal lathe (4).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1114204

Comment

That is a beauty Jacques, an L5 from the late 40s? Does it have hardened bed ways?
                  Rob

Comment

Rob
                    Jacques, I have a Harrison mill, I paid just over $300 for mine. It makes a great horizontal mill and in fact it's a universal mill with the table able to swivel and great for gear cutting. I don't have the vertical head but the do tend to run on the slow side from what I read. They are compact enough for most shops.
                    sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

That is a beauty Jacques, an L5 from the late 40s? Does it have hardened bed ways?
                      Rob
                      Rob, I don't quite understant your question but here are photos that I just took Click image for larger version

Name:	harrison bed.JPG
Size:	596.9 KB
ID:	1114212Click image for larger version

Name:	harrison bed (2).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	605.2 KB
ID:	1114213Click image for larger version

Name:	harrison bed (3).JPG
Size:	568.3 KB
ID:	1114214Click image for larger version

Name:	harrison bed (2).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	605.2 KB
ID:	1114215

Comment

Ya I used it as a dedicated hardwood saw for rips and crosscuts.
                        I have a big cabinet saw setup for cutting plywood so I used it for mostly ripping solid wood.

I bought it because I looked cool but I was seriously impressed with it.

I did not find it tippy at all....but I wasnt cutting plywood with it or trying to move it.

Nathan

Comment

SophieN,

This is just my opinion ....

Yes, those old tilt top saws look cool. I had one almost fourty years ago. Yes, it worked just fine but I found the tilt top was not as easy to use as a saw where the work piece stays level with the ground. If you are looking for a saw that you can use for many jobs, safely, intuitively, then go and buy a newer saw. There's plenty of jobsite saws out there for a couple of hundred bucks that will work just fine for almost everything you do until your skill level says "hey! I need a better saw". If you are buying for "cool" .... it doesn't matter what you buy as long as you like it.

Comment

i use a tilttop 1160 regularly! sure it has its negative points but also some positives

negatives? biggest thing is outfeed support, the outfeed support must be changed when ever the table height is changed, another negative? outfeed support is far worse when cutting bevels

positives. the motor for my 1160 is buried deep inside the cast base vs hanging off the back of a typical contractors saw, blade height and bevel angles are changed by moving the table NOT the arbour/motor assembly

both have their advantages, disadvantages. and ive used both extensively

for most operations, you really wont notice a difference
                            my shop is a beaver lodge
                            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

John Bartley,

thank you for your message. I posted the photo of the saw in the "Golden Oldies" not because I am interested in purchasing it, but because it may interest experienced ww who may be looking for something like that. What I have learned, and still learning, from the folks on this forum is valuable. For example, before coming here I bought an older Ryobi DP for $150. Strike one. Then I joined this forum and was guided through the Beaver jointer and lathe, and learning much on the way. The cool factor applies for what I find are graceful designs which seems to apply to vintage machinery, but I don't have the skills required to rebuild or mill parts. So for the table saw I will eventually add to the shop, the goal is indeed to get a newer saw with riving knife, something I will feel safe using and enjoy, as opposed to clenching my teeth every time I "have" to use it.

PS: please indicate if this is not the place to post adds for vintage machines.

sophie
                              Last edited by sophien; 04-21-2017, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                                sophien, one thing we will never do, to you or anybody else, jokingly or otherwise, regardless of gender, experience etc etc is lead you astray.
                                if a comment is made in jest, it will be made obvious
                                Obviously comments made in jest will become much more obvious as you gain more experience. Now where did I put that board stretcher ...

Comment

Working...
                                X