X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golden Oldies (and some not so golden) on Kijiji #1

Originally posted by sophien View Post

I am very aware that it is not a 350, not a 250, not a cabinet saw.
    actual
    y,I believe the 250 is closer to a hybrid, I sure the old portras will rip lumber just fine for you,and a $50 you really can't lose.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by sophien View Post

Gerry,

yes, a few on VM. From these photos, it looks like the rails and MG are there, and I hope that's the fence upside down. For $50, if it runs, how can this go wrong?
      Sophie
      I own a general 350 & a poitras cabinet saw and the poitras is heavier & better built.
      Poitras made light industrial equipment into the 1980s until they were bought out by general.
      I would guess that saw at 50s or 60s.

There is no noticeable difference in table mounted vs cabinet mounted reunions.
      My previous saw was a unisaw and I don't really notice any difference between it and the general.

I haven't had the poitras running yet, I've got it apart for a good cleaning & a new motor before it goes into service.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

Sophie
        I own a general 350 & a poitras cabinet saw and the poitras is heavier & better built.
        Poitras made light industrial equipment into the 1980s until they were bought out by general.

My previous saw was a unisaw and I don't really notice any difference between it and the general.

I haven't had the poitras running yet, I've got it apart for a good cleaning & a new motor before it goes into service.

Nathan
        Nathan,I believe the difference between cabinet mounted trunions and table mounted is mainly in that the cabinet mounted provides for easier alignment of the table to the blade,and also, on a contractor style saw ,with the motor hanging out the back cantilevered on rods,it more likely to shift out of adjustment. I may be wrong in my interpretation.for the intent of this discussion,I'm sure the op would do well with the old poitras ( they sure put a lot of metal Ito what they built) until she found her exact dream saw.

nnieman likes this.

Comment

Well, my dream saw is based on what I read here and other forums, and the advice I have gotten from experienced people. One would hope to get a solid machine that will be fairly easy to allign and stay alligned, reliable and require little maintenance, if that's poseible with an old machine. A saw that is smooth and a pleasure to use. Is a General 350 superior to a 250? Is a Poitras Cabinet saw superior to a General 350? Then again, many swear by the Unisaw . . . From where I am sitting, with a budget of $350-$550, all seem like excellent options. As far as parts, maintenance etc, are they all about the same?

The choice for me has to be based on the power available, so 3 ph is out, and 110 better than 220, but there is still a possibility there.

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
            actual
            y,I believe the 250 is closer to a hybrid, I sure the old portras will rip lumber just fine for you,and a $50 you really can't lose.
            I think you're right about that! Rob was pointing that out iirc. Alex just got a 250, but I don't know if it's up and running yet.

sophie

Comment

Well Sophie,I'm going to say,for most intents and purposes you are best to compare apples to apples. You are best off looking at cabinet saws. Poitras,general, and unisaws are all great saws no doubt,even heaven forbid some of the more modern Asian built cabinet saws . It comes down to condition. I guessing you are most likely to find a unisaw in 110 than any other. In my personal quest, a Riving knive was at the top of the list,so had to settle for a Asian built saw,there are general 350's out there with Riving knives,but rare and expensive. The added bonus of the unisaw,is you may end up with a unifence,a prime fence in my opinion.
              best of luck,keep hunting and keep us posted
              Last edited by al.m..; 05-29-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

Sophie

Nathan
                Nathan, may I ask why you decided to sell your previous saw in exchange for a Poitras? In what ways will it be a "better" choice for you?

Comment

Well you see I have this disease where I keep buying older and older tools....

I bought the poitras because it is roughl the same size as a unisaw and will swing a 12" blade. I've been working with a lot of 4" thick material and I decided I need a saw with a 4" depth of cut.

I picked up the general saw in a whim, (I actually traded the tilt top delta for it).

I'm mildly obsessed with the early 60s grey speckled paint general stuff with the red accents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	general.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1121474

It honestly doesn't function any differently than the Rockwell unisaw it replaced and I actually believe the rockwell to have the better motor.
                  I'm using it for sheetsgoods (plywood) so it doesn't need a bigger motor.
                  I'm going to use the poitras for solid wood.

Nathan
                  sophien likes this.

Comment

Working...
                  X