Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excellent Set of 6 Firmer chisels by Pearson, Sheffield (1850's - Crucible steel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent Set of 6 Firmer chisels by Pearson, Sheffield (1850's - Crucible steel)

This is an excellent set of graduated Firmer chisels by Pearson of Sheffield
    Manufactured around 1850 from Crucible steel worked hot with a hammer (not “Cold Rolled” - as today mass manufactured chisels)

All are clean and freshly sharpened.
    Sizes: 1", 3/4", 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", 1/8"
    Overall lengths 9" - 11"
    $192 - private sale -, no taxes.
    http://www.finefurnituremaker.com/pu.../carbon-steel/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rmihai; 09-28-2015, 08:29 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Excellent Set of 6 Firmer chisels by Pearson, Sheffield (1850's - Crucible steel)

Re: Excellent Set of 6 Firmer chisels by Pearson, Sheffield (1850's - Crucible steel)

If those chisels are freshly sharpened somebody used a concave stone by the look of the pictures. Are you sure that isn't a before pic?

Comment

Now that's damned interesting!

The pic showing the ends of the sharpened chisels has been edited out of this ad.

Comment

I think whether the set has a slight round on the end or not is of only marginal importance, and doesn't necessarily speak to their overall value / worth. Anyone who knows anything about sharpening can turn these chisels into a nicely cutting tool, whether the previous sharpener did a great job, or a poor job. Now, if the backs of these chisels are rounded, or something else, that might cause some problems down the road, but even those problems can be fixed with some elbow grease.

Comment

it would appear that Pearson chisels are collected not for there use but because there Pearson. this is the way of old hand tools. Sheffield steel was good but the steel today is much better. If you have just shy of $200 to get a set of working chisels there are many that would work better. the price is not out of line for collectors.

one on ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Antique-Pears...item5d5c88b439
          everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
          English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Garrett,

Thank you for your post. I actively used them for the last 4 years. I will not comment on "today steel is much better" - I will just briefly quote what David Savage have said about the old Sheffield steel: "So I was delighted to see this set of Lie Nielsen carbon steel blades. Carbon steel or O1 grade is the modern cold roll steel. .... but it is “Cold Rolled”. Bear those words in mind when you conjure an image of old fashioned crucible steel worked hot with a hammer. Lots of banging, hot steel red from the furnace and sparks flying. Ayye Lad That’s Sheffield." The rest can be seen in the link I attached http://www.finefurnituremaker.com/pu.../carbon-steel/

For me - as an user - I like them - they are the closest think similar with the Japanese chisels/steel (hand-hammered in the same fashion, and from OLD Crucible steel). If David Savage and today Japanese Master blacksmith do not know which one is good steel than I do not know who does....So they are not only for the collectors - David Savage recommends and his students actively use them in his classes. That is part of the reason why the high prices - because some people know and appreciate the quality of the old crucible steel. The other part is the dramatic fall of the Canadian Dollar 0.72 this morning vs USD.

Cheers
            Last edited by rmihai; 09-29-2015, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X