X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent Set of 6 Firmer chisels - SOLD

PM me please. Free shipping in Canada.
    Any attempts to hijack this thread will be promptly reported.

This is an excellent set of graduated Firmer chisels by Pearson of Sheffield
    Manufactured around 1920 from Crucible steel worked hot with a hammer (not “Cold Rolled” - as today mass manufactured chisels)

All are clean and freshly sharpened.
    Sizes: 1", 3/4", 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", 1/8"
    Overall lengths 9" - 11"
    $183 - private sale -, no taxes.
    http://www.finefurnituremaker.com/pu.../carbon-steel/

David Savage comments in his today email to subscribers: "I could have gone for Ashley Iles chisels, which are very popular in Rowden. But I didn’t. I could have gone for Lie-Nielsen carbon steel chisels, but ... I get the message from my students that one member of the staff is pushing the A2 chisels as being just as good as O1 steel.Well, after 40 odd years doing this I would disagree. O1 carbon steel takes a sharper edge than A2. This modern A2 is great above 30°. It is also great for the amateur who does not sharpen every day as it holds the 30° edge for a long time." The entire post here: http://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/10/04/on-chisels/

Attached Files
    Last edited by rmihai; 10-08-2015, 07:24 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Excellent Set of 6 Firmer chisels - SOLD

Re: Excellent Set of 6 Firmer chisels by Pearson, Sheffield (1890's - Crucible steel)

Update: FREE Shipping to Canada

Comment

Re: Excellent Set of 6 Firmer chisels by Pearson, Sheffield (1890's - Crucible steel)

Originally posted by rmihai View Post
      Update: FREE Shipping to Canada
      The item is in Canada right? So you are offering free shipping within Canada?
      Are all the handles original? Some look slightly different.
      sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Thank you for your questions.
        Indeed - the chisels are in Canada. Correct is "Free shipping within Canada"
        The handles: we have to remember when these chisels were manufactured - accordingly, at the time, they handcrafted the handles - so, obviously, there is going to be a slight variation between them.
        The handles are original, as far as I was explained - they were bought many years ago from one of the most reputable tool dealers in UK (Tony Murland). They looked original to me at the time, as they do today.
        Last edited by rmihai; 10-15-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I may be interested, but only if I can see them myself and try them out.

What's your address?
          All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
          - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Thank you Marty. PM sent with all the details. We are going to meet Friday, Oct 23rd.
            Last edited by rmihai; 10-19-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Sold - for $170

Comment

If they are sold you might want to take down your kijiji ads.
                sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Working...
                X