What is a RUCKER??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a RUCKER??????

I have been in the trucking industry for 45 years and until joining this forum have never heard of a rucker. Does anyone know where this comes from?? Searching on Google, the Urban Dictionary meaning is quite different from the use this word gets on here. Could it be that somewhere in the past it was posted as TRUCKER, then someone dropped the T and people started using rucker???? just curious

Ian
    But on the other hand, I have five fingers!!!!!!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: What is a RUCKER??????

It is attributed to Keith Rucker of vintagemachinery.org. He needed a machine moved across country and the term was coined. There may be others with more info on it, but that's the basics.

Originally posted by reginaldian View Post
    I have been in the trucking industry for 45 years and until joining this forum have never heard of a rucker. Does anyone know where this comes from?? Searching on Google, the Urban Dictionary meaning is quite different from the use this word gets on here. Could it be that somewhere in the past it was posted as TRUCKER, then someone dropped the T and people started using rucker???? just curious

Ian
    Steve The Drill Sergeant
    Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Yeah Steve's got it right there's also Rick Potter who name is use for the term Potter which is to hold the item while on Rucker awaiting its next leg of the journey or Rucker. The largest Rucker I have ever seen was the shipment of a 4000 lbs Wadkin lathe from Ottawa to BC. The longest will be some stuff I'm having ruckered from New Zealand. The most fascinating part of it is that it is an unorganized event only of the Community of vintage machine collectors and restores
      Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 10-08-2015, 08:58 PM.
      everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
      English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

I am certainly glad you clarified the term. After also searching all sorts of places and finding no reference I had concluded that it is a term native to the Dominion and thus unintelligible to those of us in the colonies. Sorta along with Uncle Bob, 'eh,' and similar such.
        Start slowly, wind down gracefully
        woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Keith Rucker is american :-)
          Steve The Drill Sergeant
          Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Aren't we all...

Comment

I knew there was a logical answer, thanks Ian
              But on the other hand, I have five fingers!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
                Yeah Steve's got it right there's also Rick Potter who name is use for the term Potter which is to hold the item while on Rucker awaiting its next leg of the journey or Rucker. The largest Rucker I have ever seen was the shipment of a 4000 lbs Wadkin lathe from Ottawa to BC. The longest will be some stuff I'm having ruckered from New Zealand. The most fascinating part of it is that it is an unorganized event only of the Community of vintage machine collectors and restores
                And the longest ( Time wise) Rucker-Potter for me is a complete Craftmaster Table Saw bought from Belle River Ont and presently still in Sarnia Ont, even after over 4 yrs.

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Leclerc View Post
                  And the longest ( Time wise) Rucker-Potter for me is a complete Craftmaster Table Saw bought from Belle River Ont and presently still in Sarnia Ont, even after over 4 yrs.

Jacques
                  Jacques, it sounds like you got a pretty crappy, untrustworthy Rucker. It sounds like he's more into forever Pottering. I think only real gentleman should take place in any part of this process. I am truly sorry you got screwed over by a process that is worked so seamlessly for so many. I think you got a bad apple! Sometimes a man is only as good as his word.
                  For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                  Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Jacques
                    Sorry to hear Jacques. I've meet some very nice people through this forum.
                    It's sad to here that your still going through this BS.
                    Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Jacques
                      It is not a funny matter but in the context you wrote it I had a good laugh. I moved your lathe into my garage I started thinking what if someone decided they needed the trailer more than me.

Brian
                      Bittersweet likes this.
                      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Jack... Do you have the ruckering arranged from New Zealand. Headed there in Feb and spending 2 weeks in Australia travelling about. Weight would be a factor but small pieces no problem

Brian
                        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                          Jack... Do you have the ruckering arranged from New Zealand. Headed there in Feb and spending 2 weeks in Australia travelling about. Weight would be a factor but small pieces no problem

Brian
                          Brian. I haven't yet got a "Yah" or "Nay" from the potential rucker. So if it falls through you could be the fall back - if you're prepared to do so. The bits Jack wants weigh in at about 500g (a touch over 1lb), but I fear he may have a few tons waiting by Feb .

Cheers, Vann.
                          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Thanks Brian yes John also known as Vann has some bits and I think it would probably be best for me to wait if you're going there. That would be easiest for all of us as John has many legs and transfer points to get it to Canada via the US. now all I got to do is pass you off a shirt to you to bring to New Zealand to pass off to vann. That would be a double rucker. I'm beginning to think there's no place you don't travel Brian.
                            everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                            English machines

Comment

Jacques
                              Just to ensure others the characters amongst this group are beyond outstanding and as they say one bad apple can spoil the barrel. It is always in my case been an exchange of honor and I have chosen to put forth trust to the persons involved as a way for me to personally interact and although I am aware of the situation I will not change that simple fact and bring in miss trust.

jack
                              English machines

Comment

Working...
                              X