Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know anything about the "BB" line of Marples hand planes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know anything about the "BB" line of Marples hand planes?

Hi,

I recently picked up a Marples "BB" (British beechwood) screw stem plough plane the other day, frankly because the price was excellent. It looks to be in pretty good shape but I would like to know a bit more about the 'BB' line of planes - does anyone know anything about them? I suspect that they are post WW2 but it would seem quite strange for a screw stem plane to be made that late?

Wondering if anyone has any further info - it would be much appreciated! (I am trying to upload a photo but it doesn't seem to be letting me at the moment)

Thanks
    Andrew
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Does anyone know anything about the "BB" line of Marples hand planes?

Here is the photo (hopefully)
    Attached Files

Comment

Andrew:

I have a pdf file of a 1938 Marples catalogue which has your plane on page 46. So it was available just before WWII. I don't have any Marples information from after the war. Your plane might have been available after the war, but actually manufactured before the war.

Comment

One more thing, the BB planes seem to be a slightly lower quality plane than Marples Shamrock planes, if price is any indication. You plane sold for 17/6 in English money where the same plane in the Shamrock line was 54/. Both had screw arms in beech and included 8 irons.

Comment

Thanks for the info! If you are willing, any chance you'd be able to email me the pdf? Sure would be interested to take a look. It's andrewsco at gmail if you can,

thanks again
          andrew

Comment

Looks to be in great shape. Did it come with any irons?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by andrewsco View Post
              Thanks for the info! If you are willing, any chance you'd be able to email me the pdf? Sure would be interested to take a look. It's andrewsco at gmail if you can,

thanks again
              andrew
              Email sent. Let me know if you got the catalogue as an attachment.

Rick in Oakville

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
                Looks to be in great shape. Did it come with any irons?
                Yes it came with 7 or 8 irons but they are not original by the looks of things but are the correct sizes. Not sure how well they will all fit but we'll soon find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick in Oakville View Post

Email sent. Let me know if you got the catalogue as an attachment.

Rick in Oakville
                  Yes got it - thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by andrewsco View Post
                    Hi,

I recently picked up a Marples "BB" (British beechwood) screw stem plough plane the other day, frankly because the price was excellent. It looks to be in pretty good shape but I would like to know a bit more about the 'BB' line of planes - does anyone know anything about them? I suspect that they are post WW2 but it would seem quite strange for a screw stem plane to be made that late?

Wondering if anyone has any further info - it would be much appreciated! (I am trying to upload a photo but it doesn't seem to be letting me at the moment)

Thanks
                    Andrew
                    Andrew, a basic Google found the history, c. 1910, later became the Record Marples Company, and shows a separate forum in itself dedicated by enthusiasts of the firm which initially made floor machines (joiners). http://www.record-planes.com/history/ a little more Googling will show a question similar to yours posed on the Creek forum.
                    Last edited by Woodwreck; 06-05-2016, 09:05 AM.
                    Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

Working...
                    X