Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jointing long boards by hand - how tight of a fit is it supposed to be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jointing long boards by hand - how tight of a fit is it supposed to be?

Wedges work well for putting pressure on wide joins.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I've never used polyurethane glue but isn't it supposed to fill gaps better in the event that he can't get the joint perfect?
      Be careful when you follow the masses...sometimes the 'm' is silent.

Comment

I've used a piece of 3/4" MDF 6" wide X 8' long to assure straightness clamped on the work piece with the edge set back 1/16" and use straight pattern router bit with a bearing guide. Worked for me.

Oops.. I just saw this is posted in hand tools forum. So maybe a router is a no no.
        Last edited by Mike in Waubaushene; 06-14-2016, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McBride View Post
          I've never used polyurethane glue but isn't it supposed to fill gaps better in the event that he can't get the joint perfect?
          The foam fills the joint, but it has no mechanical/adhesive strength. It's also really easy to spot since it doesn't take finish the same way as wood. A good gap-filling glue that I know is epoxy with a high solid content, but jointing shouldn't be that hard, with a little practice and maybe some experimentation at first.
          Frank
          SPCHT

Comment

Would it be cheaper to buy a 4' level where you are? They aren't always perfectly straight but if the store is selling straight edges as well, you could check them out with it and pick the best.

Comment

Glenn,

I've found that polyurethane glue is significantly weaker than most other glues, including the most often used glue we all seem to have in our shop, PVA.

Originally posted by Glenn McBride View Post
              All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Looks like it is stronger in some joints but not others. I'm probably still not going to try it unless there is a specific reason to.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...yurethane_glue
                Be careful when you follow the masses...sometimes the 'm' is silent.

Comment

Originally posted by bonobothegreat View Post
                  Would it be cheaper to buy a 4' level where you are? They aren't always perfectly straight but if the store is selling straight edges as well, you could check them out with it and pick the best.
                  They're about the same price. I could buy a 6 foot and it's not a huge problem, I just don't have a lot of space to store this stuff, so I'm trying to figure out how to manage without turning the room into a garage.

Comment

Working...
                  X