Wolverine or Veritas for sharpening?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolverine or Veritas for sharpening?

I did a bunch of searches, and could not figure out where sharpening belongs. Putting this here because it is focused on sharpening hand tools.

I am trying to decide between the Veritas Basic Grinding Set and the Wolverine. These will be used for shaping chisels and plane irons on a 6 inch grinder. I already own the grinder, so I am looking the advice on which will be the best tool rest.

The two are similar in price at Lee Valley, when considering the Basic Wolverine Jig. Both seem to have their advantages and drawbacks.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which would be a better purchase?

Thanks in advance!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wolverine or Veritas for sharpening?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...72&cat=1,43072

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...38&cat=1,43072

Hi,

There might be more responses with the links...

With the Wolverine system you get the long arm which is basically useless unless you do some turning.

With the Veritas system I've found that the grinding jig is basically useless...I prefer doing it freehand, with my finger as a stop that butts up against the rest. So easy, why waste time with a jig? With my fingers/thumb on the blade I can avoid overheating too.

The aluminum used for the Lee Valley rest absorbs heat more quickly (that's good) than the steel (IIRC) used for the Wolverine rest. It can be a bit stickier though, but I haven't found it to be a problem. I've been happy with the Lee Valley rest, and I've done a lot of grinding with it. I'd think that the Wolverine works fine but I've never tried it. The ability to switch sides (wheels) easily with the Wolverine seems like a nice feature. No clear winner IMO.
    Frank
    SPCHT

Comment

Originally posted by Frank D. View Post
      With the Wolverine system you get the long arm which is basically useless unless you do some turning.
      No turning now or in the near or midterm, so that is not an advantage to me.

With the Veritas system I've found that the grinding jig is basically useless...I prefer doing it freehand, with my finger as a stop that butts up against the rest. So easy, why waste time with a jig? With my fingers/thumb on the blade I can avoid overheating too.
      I had wondered about that.

The aluminum used for the Lee Valley rest absorbs heat more quickly (that's good) than the steel (IIRC) used for the Wolverine rest. It can be a bit stickier though, but I haven't found it to be a problem. I've been happy with the Lee Valley rest, and I've done a lot of grinding with it. I'd think that the Wolverine works fine but I've never tried it. The ability to switch sides (wheels) easily with the Wolverine seems like a nice feature. No clear winner IMO.
      The Veritas basic grinding set is $35 cheaper than the Wolverine. That matters - I don't mind paying more, but I hate paying more and not getting something of value for the extra $$$!

Is the ability to switch sides something that is used? My impression is that the grinder is used for shaping or rough sharpening, and then the rest is done with wetstones or sandpaper or diamond stones or whatever you prefer. The idea of being able to switch sides sounds useful, but if you only ever use one wheel then move on to other processes, being able to switch sides becomes useless.

I have a couple of chisels and one plane iron that need the attention of a grinder - gouges out of the working edge. Once the gouge is ground out and the primary face is rough ground, I will move on to my diamond stones (Busy Bee specials), then 1000 to 4000 grid sandpaper on a glass honing plate. In other words - all work done on one side of the grinder.

Do you find it tricky to set up the Veritas unit? Seems like there are a lot of adjustments, and moving one setting may the other settings. This is something that was pointed out as an advantage for the Wolverine, in that each adjustment on the Wolverine does not change the other settings.

With the Veritas, you have two handles. Losing one lets you adjust the angle of the tool rest. The other lets you move the tool rest up and down, and forward and back. Moving it forward or back changes the angle of the tool rest. Moving it up and down will leave the angle of the tool rest unchanged only if you can move perfectly up and down.

With the Wolverine, you have three separate handles. Each moves in a guide, so that is the only dimension that is altered. Moving the unit up or down, or in or out, do not change the angle of the tool rest at all.

Comment

Switching sides is not too useful if you're just grinding for the primary bevel. Then all you use is a coarse wheel. But once I changed wheels and got a good one that grinds cooler, I had a good wheel for the good tools and a grey wheel for stuff like metal parts, lawnmower blades and axes. I'd also put on a felt wheel for carving tools and axes.

I never got angry adjusting the angle (I have little patience when it comes to tools...), but I didn't change angles too often (now I use mostly abrasive belts for grinding). It would take me two or three adjustments to finally get the angle I wanted, pretty fast and intuitive. I'd just hold the angle jig onto the plate and move things around ((back and forth between the levers) until the jig touched the wheel exactly where I wanted.

The Wolverine looks simpler, but I'm not sure the different design is a huge advantage. As soon as you move the rest in or out, the contact point on the wheel changes, which changes your grinding angle unless you're at 90 degrees (so you have to readjust the plate). And if you change the angle by moving only the plate, your distance to the wheel changes so you may have to readjust the distance too. So it's often a double adjustment unless you're just fine-tuning the angle.
        Frank
        SPCHT

Comment

I own both systems (even other ones) they are both great, and both are pretty ease to set up, I prefer to use the Wolverine jig for lathe chisels and the Veritas one for setting the primary bevel on chisels or plane blades. Personally if you are not going to sharpen lathe chisels then I would recommend the Veritas model. Looks like you live in Brampton also, you are welcome to stop by one day check my setup and see it in action if you feel it would help your decision. Drop me a PM if you like

Comment

Originally posted by Ccelenza View Post
            I own both systems (even other ones) they are both great, and both are pretty ease to set up, I prefer to use the Wolverine jig for lathe chisels and the Veritas one for setting the primary bevel on chisels or plane blades. Personally if you are not going to sharpen lathe chisels then I would recommend the Veritas model. Looks like you live in Brampton also, you are welcome to stop by one day check my setup and see it in action if you feel it would help your decision. Drop me a PM if you like
            Claudio - thanks for the invite!

I have seen both. Took a Lee Valley sharpening course with Dan, at the King St location. He had both the Veritas and the Wolverine there.

He had his preferences, and was very clear in his reasons, but I would like to make my own decision. The posting by Frank D. (just before yours) is interesting, and seems to agree with your recommendation.

I may take you up on that invite in the future. We are in the English and Voden area.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X