Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Assembling a Timber Frame Structure for my Shop

Hi Folks:

I have had this hankering to build a shop this year and was planning to build a timber frame structure however; came into an opportunity where I bought a 1 1/2 storey timber frame 20' X 16' structure which was built about 7 years ago and dis-assembled 5 years ago. The whole thing is mortise and tenon with 8" X 8" white pine. I have attached an isometric image. The 20' long sills are one piece 8" X 8".

I understand from my local building authority that because the footprint is under 50 m2, that I can build a slab. I figure the building structure will weigh about 3000 lb without any floors, roof, wall materials, etc. I am also planning to move in an 1890 Goldie McCullough sticker machine (600 Lb?) see attached photo. Most of my toys are cast iron, so I want to put in a decent slab before I begin.

I have about 2' of gravel where my slab will go.

I am thinking that I could use 6" with rebar for the slab. Should I be thinking more?

The floor joists are mortised in. I am thinking that I will put wood sleepers in under the joists to ensure distribution on load, particularly underneath the area where the old sticker will go.

Interestingly, a friend of mine said that it was recommended to him to use pine for the floor. I have a sawmill south of my place that works primarily with pine. There is a 2HP 15" Busy Bee Thickness planer that comes with the structure (I think the guy used it to plane the pine for the structure). I could use it to help with the flooring. In a way, I'm thinking I might splurge for a white oak floor - if I could cut costs a bit by planning it myself.

I also need some thoughts about skinning the walls to keep the structure exposed inside. I am thinking I might buys some rough sawn 1" pine to close in the building, plane one side, and then put something over it afterwards.

My last question is for timber framers: The person who has the frame stored (I will pick it up in the late spring) is not sure whether the parts were marked and numbered. Based upon the design, there are only two possibilities for post locations where the members are cut the same. If the front bent, does not have a girt, it could greatly assist with this problem. I am hoping the pieces were numbered and will be able to confirm this when I see it for the second time in a couple of weeks. I am guessing there is a numbering system related to which bent you are on and am asking: Is there a typical numbering system?

In any event, any help would be welcome in the planning stages.

Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Re-Assembling a Timber Frame Structure for my Shop

For your on grade slab I would look at the Canadian code.
    https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/publicat...2000-127E.html

Comment

Karen McBride may be able to help you out with some advice, as her studio is a former old log-style structure she dismantled and then moved to her own property before undertaking the reconstruction.

Here's some info: https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/...form=hootsuite
      All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

As far as I know there's no standard numbering system.

you might have one hell of a puzzle on your hands.
        its not impossible to assemble but might take a while.

nathan - not a timber framer but looked into doing the exact same thing but my new house had a garage

Comment

My plan is this:

If I am lucky, there is no girt running between either the left post of bent 1 and bent 2 or the left and right posts of bent 1. In the diagram, the opening is in between the first and second bent on the left side (it could also be on the front if he intended the opening to be there. That means there would be no mortises. In general, the posts in the corners that are diagonal to one another, are identical to one another - reason being the orientation of their girt mortises. Long and short, I think we can determine which posts go where with a minimum of trial and error fit.

The tenons at the bottom of the posts are closer to the outside. Measurements of mortise and tenon locations might indicate which posts are for bent 1 (the front) and which are for bent 3 (the back).

The sills are pocketed out for the floor joists, so the pockets face inward. If we know where the posts best fit, then we can determine the front from the back for the sills.

From this point, you could measure and rough-fit the cross-sills.

With this all fitted up, I plan to lay down the long-sills and fit in the cross-sills.

Then we will stop. I am thinking that if I went with a timber frame building, I may want to mortise in the door and window frames. I am also planning for double doors in the upper floor first bent, which means that we will have to make components to alter the 1st bent for the opening (posts running up to the cross-tie). Somehow I knew I would want to use these Eastlake doors for my shed a year ago...

While we are framing the doors/windows, and upper floor components, we will try to figure the remaining mysteries of the components for the three bents. I think the worst part will be locating the braces. One tell will be the locations of the peg holes. If it were me, I might have placed them with a bit of randomness.

I am really hoping like heck the components were marked at least with a bent #. This was the guy's 3rd or 4th structure, which he built for himself. At that point, I wonder whether he would have needed to mark it at all. I will know when I do a more thorough look next week.

My whole house and property have been on CAD for a long time, including elevations. Given that I may have a jigsaw puzzle, I have drawn all of the components and laid them out on my property to facilitate a jigsaw process. I hope to load the timbers on the trailer to make a planned unload possible. I will have at least ten guys involved when we bring the stuff home to lay it out in specific places in the yard.

Comments on the plan to handle this problem?
          Attached Files

Comment

I built a shop back in 1993 and it ''twas on a slab. I believe at that time you build up o 600 sq ft on an above grade slab. There are all kinds of garages built on slabs. The municipality willbe able to guide you in the right direction.

Brian
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Hi Brian:
              I get along well with my building official. He used to work at one time at Hoffmeyer's Mill at Sebringville - north of you. I can do the slab, I'm well under the square footage. I am now planning on the slab. I also benefitted from the fact this structure was once assembled and then moved.

Comment

Good luck with this project.
                Hope you will start a thread so we can follow along.

Noel
                "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                "
                John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                  Good luck with this project.
                  Hope you will start a thread so we can follow along.

Noel
                  Agreed

im definitely following along!

Nathan

Comment

I am, I mean was... having a website developed about old tools and technologies. This is costing me more than I originally anticipated, so the site will have to wait until the end of the summer. A friend of mine who is a photographer/videographer is going to help document it. The guy who is selling the structure is trying to help me locate the story of the builder and maybe get me a photo. I will keep things rolling here. I will ask more questions as I move forward.

Comment

Many years ago, I moved a storey and a half log house to a new location on a new foundation. I will be reliving that experience through this thread. Really looking forward to it.
                      The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Sounds interesting and challenging. I hope the wood did not move/twist/warp much in the 5 years it has been laying around. That would make it more challenging.
                        More stuff of mine at:
                        http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

I run a timber frame course at my shop a couple of times a year and we build a very similar building. This book Timber Frame construction - all about post and beam building by Jack Sobon describes in detail this frame, and I think the illustration you posted came from this book. The girt mortices will be a good guide also the tenons on the top of the posts. The tenons are typically referenced from the outside, so the tenons will not be centred but measured 2" from the outside- this will help you get oriented.

If the middle bent is centered in the 20 span- the long 20' sills will be the same and the rafter plates will be the same.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by JasonGibson View Post
                            I run a timber frame course at my shop a couple of times a year and we build a very similar building. This book Timber Frame construction - all about post and beam building by Jack Sobon describes in detail this frame, and I think the illustration you posted came from this book. The girt mortices will be a good guide also the tenons on the top of the posts. The tenons are typically referenced from the outside, so the tenons will not be centred but measured 2" from the outside- this will help you get oriented.

If the middle bent is centered in the 20 span- the long 20' sills will be the same and the rafter plates will be the same.

Jason
                            Hi Jason, nice to see you here. I thought I recognized this picture from one of my timber frame books as well.
                            Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

To Jason: If the timbers are unmarked, your approach is what I am expecting.

To Jason and Brent... What are the chances that I should find some sort of markings on the timbers themselves? I am going back this weekend to look.

Comment

Working...
                              X