Re-Assembling a Timber Frame Structure for my Shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re-Assembling a Timber Frame Structure for my Shop

Should you decide to carry out your addition Townsend Lumber in Tillsonburg carry a large selection of beams. The pics taken in Dec. 2017 and a small sampling of their inventory. The biggest ones in the pic are 24 in x 24 in Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1529.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1164357Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1164358Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1526.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1164359Thanks for taking time to post.

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have been working pretty vigorously throughout the late summer and fall. Looking forward to moving some stuff in this spring...

Comment

Wow that looks great!!

Nathan

Comment

More pics please.
          It looks terrific.

Noel
          timberframe likes this.
          "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "
          John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I finished up the 1X12 pine roof sheathing this afternoon and have started working on my barn trolley
            Attached Files

Comment

It was kind of comical today. That shot was from a couple of weeks back. Here I am... an old fart... wrestling 12' planks up onto a snowy garage roof by myself... fighting to get those last three rows up... just about set a new snow jump record!

Comment

Over the past few weeks, I've picked up two maple leaf hay trolleys that were made a block from my house. The Trolleys came from Sydenham... The Beatty track and centre drop pulley came from a guy down near Tilbury... The Beatty hangers came from up near North Bay... I picked up a double block and tackle to give me some mechanical advantage. I am assembling the track and hangers now to align with my upper floor rafters. I plane to life an old factory cart up there... and my canoe. I have the second trolley just to run back and forth on the main floor - I have about 9' of clearance.
                My second floor is going to be made up of 2" hemlock planks - so I'll have lots of carrying capacity.

Comment

Oh yea... the pics... Apparently the Beatty Maple Leaf is the one you want to get as a collector...
                  Attached Files

Comment

The new shop is looking good Doug, it'll be great to move some of your collection in when the structure is complete.

Comment

I am working on a build sequence that allows me to do that. When I had the trench dug for the gas line, I ran conduit with several Internet and security cables. I cant really store much until then.

I am thinking I might start with a temporary run of electrical from the adjacent garage. There is conduit and I salvaged a whole pile of armoured cable with receptacle - boxes in place a while back. It would give me temporary lighting and power as I close in the last wall.

Comment

Getting Closer... 2" rough hemlock floor in the top and starting to move some bigger furniture pieces in...
                        Attached Files
                        harkar, timberframe and nnieman like this.

Comment

That’s looking great!

Nathan

Comment

Looking forward to the final unveiling!

Comment

I will be picking up the other half of the hemlock for the second floor this weekend.

I keep coming up with new ideas. In the first photo attached here, is the second floor where I have already installed the 2” hemlock on the south end. I had a friend over last weekend and he suggested I put in a trap door below the hay trolley beam so I can move stuff between the first and second floor inside, as well as outside. I have the head-room on the first floor for a second Beatty Trolley, which would mean that I will have to put the trap door on the south end of the second floor.

I’m also thinking of extending the middle 5” X 6 ½” Floor joists through the front wall on the second floor, creating a shelter from rain outside the doors on the lower floor and a platform for underneath the hay trolley beam outside the second floor.

Rather than build a staircase which takes up room, I plan to use a rolling ladder (similar to the second pic) that came from a general store.

The steel roof will go on top of the pine in early June.
                              Attached Files
                              Darrell likes this.

Comment

I am pushing hard on the interior of the timber frame right now because I need to lay out a good part of my tool collection for the Wellington County Museum... my collection will be there on display between September and November this year. With a house reno going on and me desperately trying to put together the timber frame, I need the space to lay everything out for them to know what they are getting... using 300 square feet to show what will fill 650 square feet. I have to pull it all out of the Shipping Container and then after they're gone, put it all back in.

Comment

Working...
                                X