• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re-Assembling a Timber Frame Structure for my Shop

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_127397.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	1226872Click image for larger version  Name:	image_127395.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	1226871 Was a good weekend. Got the windows and doors in; Lifted the hemlock floor into the second floor;!started prepping inside for the museum visit...
    Last edited by farfromislay; 03-04-2019, 02:58 AM.
    Darrell likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Name:	image_127396.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	1226874 Looking north.
      Last edited by farfromislay; 03-04-2019, 02:53 AM.
      Darrell likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by farfromislay View Post
        Looking north.
        Looks real good so far. Do you know that after you upload a pic -- you should pic Full Size and it will be embedded in your post. THis will save us a lot of going back and forth to see the pics.

Name:	Pic size.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	1226879

Comment

Thanks for that! I went back and edited a few.

Comment

Looks like another place for a road trip.
            Thanks.

Noel
            "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "
            John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I will be picking up the other half of the hemlock for the second floor this weekend.

I keep coming up with new ideas. In the first photo attached here, is the second floor where I have already installed the 2� hemlock on the south end. I had a friend over last weekend and he suggested I put in a trap door below the hay trolley beam so I can move stuff between the first and second floor inside, as well as outside. I have the head-room on the first floor for a second Beatty Trolley, which would mean that I will have to put the trap door on the south end of the second floor.

I�m also thinking of extending the middle 5� X 6 �� Floor joists through the front wall on the second floor, creating a shelter from rain outside the doors on the lower floor and a platform for underneath the hay trolley beam outside the second floor.

Rather than build a staircase which takes up room, I plan to use a rolling ladder (similar to the second pic) that came from a general store.

The steel roof will go on top of the pine in early June.
              So cool!
              How does the beam for the trolley get mounted? I think I see some type of hanging bolt at the end... is that all that's required?
              How much weight can it handle?

Thanks,
              Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

A very nice structure. Thank you for sharing.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Thanks for that! I went back and edited a few.
                  Thanks -- That's much better.

Comment

Starting to look spectacular Doug !
                    cograts, Rob

Comment

Thanks folks!

The Hay Trolley is a Beatty Maple Leaf Model. It was built about two blocks from my house in Fergus. I pieced it together from all over the province. I got two hay trolley's that came from the same barn near Kingston. I bought the Beatty Y-Brackets from the tool guy up west of North Bay. The 4X4 maple track (which is also Beatty) came with J-Bolts came from Tilbury. I traded an old Tolton Trolley to a Hay Trolley Collector (wanna see 100 Hay Tolleys in one place?) for the track and various components I was missing (centre drop pulley, two end stops, etc.). He kindly gave me a Beatty Hay fork to go with it.

At one time this would have lifted hundreds of pounds. I actually got a Y- Shaped Hay Sling Drop Pulley with the two Hay Trolleys. Hay sings were capable of lifting entire wagon loads. I will keep it under 300 pounds. I'm working on a grated hemlock trap door on the second floor, midway down the building) so I can lift inside as well as outside.

I have another set of general store doors that I would like to use upstairs. I am working on a small door design above these doors to accommodate the trolley beam. I need to rig a removable transom for the doors to allow a loaded trolley to pass through.

Yesterday, I filled most of the tools chests and benches with planes and tools for the museum. My collection will be gone from mid-July until after the Fall Tools of the Trades Show and Sale (October 6). I believe I will have my collection back after October 20... so, I could hold an open house sort of thing at the end of October... You're also welcome to give me a shout and see the building on your way to the museum (about ten minutes away) if you like on weekends in the summer.

beachburl likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X