Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Assembling a Timber Frame Structure for my Shop

Hi Folks:

I have had this hankering to build a shop this year and was planning to build a timber frame structure however; came into an opportunity where I bought a 1 1/2 storey timber frame 20' X 16' structure which was built about 7 years ago and dis-assembled 5 years ago. The whole thing is mortise and tenon with 8" X 8" white pine. I have attached an isometric image. The 20' long sills are one piece 8" X 8".

I understand from my local building authority that because the footprint is under 50 m2, that I can build a slab. I figure the building structure will weigh about 3000 lb without any floors, roof, wall materials, etc. I am also planning to move in an 1890 Goldie McCullough sticker machine (600 Lb?) see attached photo. Most of my toys are cast iron, so I want to put in a decent slab before I begin.

I have about 2' of gravel where my slab will go.

I am thinking that I could use 6" with rebar for the slab. Should I be thinking more?

The floor joists are mortised in. I am thinking that I will put wood sleepers in under the joists to ensure distribution on load, particularly underneath the area where the old sticker will go.

Interestingly, a friend of mine said that it was recommended to him to use pine for the floor. I have a sawmill south of my place that works primarily with pine. There is a 2HP 15" Busy Bee Thickness planer that comes with the structure (I think the guy used it to plane the pine for the structure). I could use it to help with the flooring. In a way, I'm thinking I might splurge for a white oak floor - if I could cut costs a bit by planning it myself.

I also need some thoughts about skinning the walls to keep the structure exposed inside. I am thinking I might buys some rough sawn 1" pine to close in the building, plane one side, and then put something over it afterwards.

My last question is for timber framers: The person who has the frame stored (I will pick it up in the late spring) is not sure whether the parts were marked and numbered. Based upon the design, there are only two possibilities for post locations where the members are cut the same. If the front bent, does not have a girt, it could greatly assist with this problem. I am hoping the pieces were numbered and will be able to confirm this when I see it for the second time in a couple of weeks. I am guessing there is a numbering system related to which bent you are on and am asking: Is there a typical numbering system?

In any event, any help would be welcome in the planning stages.

Attached Files

• farfromislay
    replied
    Thanks folks!

The Hay Trolley is a Beatty Maple Leaf Model. It was built about two blocks from my house in Fergus. I pieced it together from all over the province. I got two hay trolley's that came from the same barn near Kingston. I bought the Beatty Y-Brackets from the tool guy up west of North Bay. The 4X4 maple track (which is also Beatty) came with J-Bolts came from Tilbury. I traded an old Tolton Trolley to a Hay Trolley Collector (wanna see 100 Hay Tolleys in one place?) for the track and various components I was missing (centre drop pulley, two end stops, etc.). He kindly gave me a Beatty Hay fork to go with it.

At one time this would have lifted hundreds of pounds. I actually got a Y- Shaped Hay Sling Drop Pulley with the two Hay Trolleys. Hay sings were capable of lifting entire wagon loads. I will keep it under 300 pounds. I'm working on a grated hemlock trap door on the second floor, midway down the building) so I can lift inside as well as outside.

I have another set of general store doors that I would like to use upstairs. I am working on a small door design above these doors to accommodate the trolley beam. I need to rig a removable transom for the doors to allow a loaded trolley to pass through.

Yesterday, I filled most of the tools chests and benches with planes and tools for the museum. My collection will be gone from mid-July until after the Fall Tools of the Trades Show and Sale (October 6). I believe I will have my collection back after October 20... so, I could hold an open house sort of thing at the end of October... You're also welcome to give me a shout and see the building on your way to the museum (about ten minutes away) if you like on weekends in the summer.

Leave a comment:

• kiwi
    replied
    Starting to look spectacular Doug !
    cograts, Rob

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by farfromislay View Post
    Thanks for that! I went back and edited a few.
    Thanks -- That's much better.

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    A very nice structure. Thank you for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• carbonBased
    replied
    I will be picking up the other half of the hemlock for the second floor this weekend.

I keep coming up with new ideas. In the first photo attached here, is the second floor where I have already installed the 2� hemlock on the south end. I had a friend over last weekend and he suggested I put in a trap door below the hay trolley beam so I can move stuff between the first and second floor inside, as well as outside. I have the head-room on the first floor for a second Beatty Trolley, which would mean that I will have to put the trap door on the south end of the second floor.

I�m also thinking of extending the middle 5� X 6 �� Floor joists through the front wall on the second floor, creating a shelter from rain outside the doors on the lower floor and a platform for underneath the hay trolley beam outside the second floor.

Rather than build a staircase which takes up room, I plan to use a rolling ladder (similar to the second pic) that came from a general store.

The steel roof will go on top of the pine in early June.
    So cool!
    How does the beam for the trolley get mounted? I think I see some type of hanging bolt at the end... is that all that's required?
    How much weight can it handle?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    Looks like another place for a road trip.
    Thanks.

Noel

Leave a comment:

• farfromislay
    replied
    Thanks for that! I went back and edited a few.

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Looking north.
    Looks real good so far. Do you know that after you upload a pic -- you should pic Full Size and it will be embedded in your post. THis will save us a lot of going back and forth to see the pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic size.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	1226879

Leave a comment:

• farfromislay
    replied

Name:	image_127396.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	1226874 Looking north.
    Last edited by farfromislay; 03-04-2019, 02:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• farfromislay
    replied

Name:	image_127397.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	4.39 MB
ID:	1226872Click image for larger version  Name:	image_127395.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	1226871 Was a good weekend. Got the windows and doors in; Lifted the hemlock floor into the second floor;!started prepping inside for the museum visit...
    Last edited by farfromislay; 03-04-2019, 02:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• farfromislay
    replied
    I am pushing hard on the interior of the timber frame right now because I need to lay out a good part of my tool collection for the Wellington County Museum... my collection will be there on display between September and November this year. With a house reno going on and me desperately trying to put together the timber frame, I need the space to lay everything out for them to know what they are getting... using 300 square feet to show what will fill 650 square feet. I have to pull it all out of the Shipping Container and then after they're gone, put it all back in.

Leave a comment:

• farfromislay
    replied
    I will be picking up the other half of the hemlock for the second floor this weekend.

I keep coming up with new ideas. In the first photo attached here, is the second floor where I have already installed the 2 hemlock on the south end. I had a friend over last weekend and he suggested I put in a trap door below the hay trolley beam so I can move stuff between the first and second floor inside, as well as outside. I have the head-room on the first floor for a second Beatty Trolley, which would mean that I will have to put the trap door on the south end of the second floor.

Im also thinking of extending the middle 5 X 6 Floor joists through the front wall on the second floor, creating a shelter from rain outside the doors on the lower floor and a platform for underneath the hay trolley beam outside the second floor.

Rather than build a staircase which takes up room, I plan to use a rolling ladder (similar to the second pic) that came from a general store.

The steel roof will go on top of the pine in early June.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Yeti
    replied
    Looking forward to the final unveiling!

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Thats looking great!

Nathan

Leave a comment:

Working...