Diamond or water stones??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond or water stones??

Which is better for sharpening chisels and planes, regardless of cost? Ive only used water stones.

thanks in advance,
    Kenny
    Yeah its cold...Yeah we got snow...But we like it that way!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Diamond or water stones??

They both work, so it pretty much comes down to personal preference. I prefer water stones. I also use oil stones and diamond paste on cast iron, depending on where I am and what I have to sharpen. It also depends on whether you're grinding or honing. It's hard to find water stones that grind well. Diamonds are good for grinding, but a diamond plate will lose its efficiency over time.
    WCraig likes this.
    Frank
    SPCHT

Comment

I've used them both.
      I use oil stones.

diamond stones are expensive and wear (they get finer and finer) quickly.

water stones are soft and need to be flattened often.

i use a white Arkansas and a surgical black followed by a leather strop.
      i get comparable results to 8000 grit water stone.
      Sharp enough to shave with.

Nathan

Comment

Just have to look at the pros and cons ... i don't think either is overall better than the other. I stopped using waterstones because of the water.

Comment

This is probably not THE answer to your question but I use both diamond and water stones for sharpening. If you looked at some of our other threads on sharpening you would surely have seen that any decent quality system, used properly, will sharpen tools to a gnat's eyelash and each has strong proponents and adherents. Neither of the options you asked about is the best system IMO but there are really good combinations of the two.

You are bound to get several perfectly valid perspectives in response to such an open-ended question, especially given the amazing and bewildering array of sharpening equipment offered for sale today! What works best depends on what you are sharpening and how much maintenance you are willing to incorporate into your sharpening regimen; among other things. A strong influence, for example, is how much money you can afford to invest into stones/hones.

I can express one strong preference: I prefer coarse(r) diamond stones/films with a light oil lubricant to shape and restore edges that I inadvertently damaged because they cut cleanly and quickly plus are a breeze to maintain. Please be aware that I rarely damage tools so this particular stone gets little use in my shop. Other than that my answer would be a solid "it depends" because I use a variety of sharpening media in support of my various woodworking interests.

Maybe you could elaborate a bit on your tools, sharpening goals, etc?

Ken

Comment

FWIW, I've used a 1000/4000 Norton waterstone and 600/1200/8000 DiaSharp diamond stones along with my MKII honing guide and I can't get sharp with either of them!

Comment

Originally posted by saltcod View Post
              FWIW, I've used a 1000/4000 Norton waterstone and 600/1200/8000 DiaSharp diamond stones along with my MKII honing guide and I can't get sharp with either of them!
              That's because a 4000 Norton water stone and the 8000 diamond stone, are exactly the same grit size .... 3 microns. To get a sharper edge, a 8000 or 12000 or 16000 (choose one) water stone is needed.
              KenL likes this.
              Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

aaah didn't realize. Oh my sharpening. I should really see if I can find an 8000 waterstone from somewhere or just buy one on LV.

All the same, I'm not getting "sharp", regardless of what 8000 stone I have.

Comment

All the same, I'm not getting "sharp", regardless of what 8000 stone I have.
                  We might be hijacking this thread, but describe your sharpening process. ie; secondary bevel, backside polish, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunzwerks View Post
                    We might be hijacking this thread, but...
                    I agree, kind of, to some extent, but not really completely.....

I would suggest anyone fairly new to sharpening use a honing guide. They are cheap, work well, and can be replaced with the freehand method once you have a process that works.

Freehand sharpening is beyond me at this point. All I do is round over the tip. Looks nice and shiny, but for actually cutting wood, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Along with a honing guide, I would suggest building a jig to set the angles of the items you put into the jig. Very each, just a board with blocks to set how much of a plane iron or chisel is sticking out. I have been using a digital gauge, and it works well, but getting repeatable results takes a LOT of finicing around.

Having said all that - I would strongly suggest that the best place to start, if possible, is a sharpening course. Preferably one that focuses on the tools you will be using. Lee Valley has excellent one day courses, and I am sure there are many others around, depending on your location.

As to what to use - sandpaper, film, water stones, oil stones, diamond stones - each has their character. From what I have read, they all work. The only one I have an issue with is sandpaper, because I keep cutting the sandpaper before it is used up. That is my bad, the process works well otherwise.

Comment

Yeah we probably shouldn't hijack this thread. I asked a bunch of questions a few months back: https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...diamond-stones Haven't gotten much farther with things to be honest.

Comment

Yeah we probably shouldn't hijack this thread. I asked a bunch of questions a few months back: https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...diamond-stones Haven't gotten much farther with things to be honest.
                        I read the thread and you got a lot of good advice with plenty of options on different sharpening methods. I think there is something else going on with your process that is keeping you from achieving good results. But, we have to talk about it on another thread.

Back to this thread. I use a 300 diamond stone and a 8000 water stone. The diamond stone is used to flatten the water stone and on occasion true up a primary bevel. The 8000 water stone is used to create a micro bevel or secondary bevel. When I need to sharpen, I just use the 8000 stone straight away to get the "wear" edge off and I'm back to business. I do use a sharpening guide.

Comment

In the following link the author gets a nice cutting edge using many different stones but using the same technique. See the video in there.
                          http://www.closegrain.com/2016/06/tw...and-strop.html

Comment

that's a great video actually. Thanks Normand!

Comment

Diamonds last an exceptionally long time but spend 50% of there time at 50% worn out. I just use them to flatten water stones which are always good to go and the best choice imo. I hate that oily feel on my hands that result from oil stones.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X