Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diamond or water stones??

Originally posted by Frank D. View Post

The problem with the Norton flattening stones is that they need to be flattened. So not really more effective than diamonds or CBN stones that never need it.
    Hmm... I wondered if they would eventually loose their "trueness"... good to know (thanks)
    I haven't used mine super often, but so far it remains true (I regularly check it with a straight-edge).
    I guess when it starts to go "out of plane", then I'll bite the bullet and buy a diamond stone (I've got nothing against them except their price )

Cheers,
    Jeff

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post

Hmm... I wondered if they would eventually loose their "trueness"... good to know (thanks)
      I haven't used mine super often, but so far it remains true (I regularly check it with a straight-edge).
      I guess when it starts to go "out of plane", then I'll bite the bullet and buy a diamond stone (I've got nothing against them except their price )

Cheers,
      Jeff
      i flatten mine with drywall screen on a piece of mdf,easy peasy

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post

Cheers,
        Jeff
        They aren't cheap that for sure! I did get an email from the magazine that the trend diamonds are %20 off right now.
        Last edited by Matt Matt; 05-30-2018, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rfielder View Post
          As to what to use - sandpaper, film, water stones, oil stones, diamond stones - each has their character. From what I have read, they all work. The only one I have an issue with is sandpaper, because I keep cutting the sandpaper before it is used up. That is my bad, the process works well otherwise.
          Ditto! Even though I do NOT do freehand sharpening, I end up digging into the sandpaper.

The sandpaper is on a granite surface, so it is sitting flag. Has to be my technique, so I am taking this as a learning experience......

Comment

I gave up on Scary Sharp (sandpaper) because of the tearing and the overall rigmarole. Definitely not cheap in the long run, either.

I'm another in a long line here that uses coarse diamond to lap my waterstones. The coarse diamond is an old one that I rubbed to death, I thought, back in my Cold Grinding era. The diamond was too slow for that coarse grinding task -- not to mention a waste, grinding away all that metal when a hollow grind would be so much quicker, convenient and effective. So now the diamond just services the waterstones and it is excellent at that task. Flat stones in a few seconds.

You can make almost any method work. Pick one and make it work really well for you. This might involve years of figuring out what's best for you.

In my case, I use:
            * a grinder with a cambered friable grinding wheel for shaping blades and giving me a hollow grind;
            * a coarse diamond stone for lapping the waterstones; and,
            * three grades of waterstone for honing. I can usually hone freehand thanks to the hollow grind.

This is the quickest, least aggravating way of staying sharp for me.
            Kayak Jim and Frank D. like this.

Comment

Working...
            X