Sharpening Services?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening Services?

​Does anyone know of or use a good sharpening service in the GTA (York Region would be great). I have a number of items I would like to get sharpened from handsaws, to chisels, and eventually some saw blades. There is a guy from Mt Albert who is at the Newmarket and E.G. farmers market doing sharpening on the spot. I've brought him a mower blade, not sure about woodworking tools though.

Second question, are these chisels worth paying to sharpen vs replace? Its a set of Stanley chisels that were my Dad's they are all pretty dull and have I'm sure been used for improper things over the years. The hand saw was my grandfathers, brought over from Scotland.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170714_155357.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1128743

Name:	20170714_155501.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1128744

Name:	20170714_155517.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1128745
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Sharpening Services?

not interested in sharpening the chisels yourself?
    saws I can't help, but after learning how to sharpen a chisel I have been doing my own now for over a year, and quite please with the results. simple stanley guide to clamp chisels in, and few stones, and easy peasy.

as for quality of those chisels, I would say good quality, and worth investing some time/$$ in.
    even my crap home depot chisels serve a purpose now that I've sharpened them beyond how they come from the store.
    I use my "cheapies" for some stuff, and my Beavers for other stuff.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

I think that your saw will required a complete overhaul. The teeth are in really bad shape. If it was mine I would remove entirely all existing teeth and file new ones. This is a process that may easily need 3 or 4 hours.

You do have a good set of chisels and, even if you were to buy new ones, you will need to learn to sharpen them soon enough. The main problem with chisels is the back flatness. Sometimes they are very easy to flatten but it may takes a lot of effort. If they are in good shape I'd say 1/2hr each but up to 2 hrs each if in bad condition.

Someone doing a business with sharpening would charge so much...

Comment

You should learn to sharpen your own chisels it's not something you'd want someone else to do. Also as others have mentioned you need to find a sharpening service that can chop new teeth there are machines that do this to any configuration and is the process prior to sharpening .
        everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
        English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. While I do need to learn to sharpen chisels myself. My shop time is so limited these days, just looking to get a jump on making them usable. I agree the saw needs a whole new set of teeth cut I'm just not sure where to find the people to do it. I could easily get a new saw that is probably better but this one has family value.

Comment

I would find someone who will refile your saw with new teeth, as the older high carbon steel saws can take a nasty warp if a saw punch is used and the HCS is easy to file in comparison to 1090 tool steel that is used in modern saw manufacture. The 1090 steel is where a saw punch is a necessity. There are people like Mark at Bad Axe Toolworks who will do a complete rehab on your saw for a fee if you would rather just have it all done by another.

As others have said, those chisels are worth taking care of and if you plan to have a woodworking hobby you need to learn how to do a decent sharpening job on chisels, plane blades, marking knives and other edged tools. Lots of options to do it with waterstones, sandpaper, or various powered solutions. The cheapest method might be the "Scary Sharp" method using water paper and float glass. You can find many examples on YouTube.
            Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

I have had no luck finding anyone in Ontario to file new teeth.

I can sharpen it for you but filing new teeth is above my abilities (and possibly eyesight lol).

If you can't find anyone closer I can teach you to sharpen.
              Theres a lot of information on the internet but it's really not a difficult process.

Nathan

Comment

Just a thought, I wonder if Darius (http://www.grandpastreasureschest.com/) in St Catherines can point you to the right person in regards to the saw.

Comment

Mysaw doctor in ottawa can chop teeth and sharpener them and does do chisels. Most likely Goldsmith's in Prescott does too .

http://www.lerouxsharpening.ca/

https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Spencerville/Goldsmith-Saw-Tool-Knife/5225819.html
                  Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 07-15-2017, 09:55 AM.
                  everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                  English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
                    Mysaw doctor in ottawa can chop teeth and sharpener them and does do chisels. Most likely Goldsmith's in Prescott does too .

http://www.lerouxsharpening.ca/

https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Spencerville/Goldsmith-Saw-Tool-Knife/5225819.html
                    ahem, Goldsmith's is in Roebuck I'll have you know, I used to bike by them on way to the Roebuck store (when it was there)... Prescott, pst!!
                    [insert something witty here]

Comment

Sharpening saws is not too difficult but can be intimidating to the uninitiated. Your little saw needs to be jointed and refiled for certain so, might I suggest that you consider one of Lee Valley's seminars on saw sharpening? You don't really remove the teeth then start again in general but that looks like a pretty wavy edge to me.

Sharpening chisels is a basic skill that you need to develop and those older Stanleys that you have sharpen up well!

My 2 cents

Ken

Comment

Is Ed Paik of Medallion Saws in Oakville still around?
                        He might put new teeth on it for you.

Nathan

Comment

If you are going to be a woodworker then you need to learn how to sharpen your own saws and chisels, it's not that difficult although looking at that saw, for someone who's never done it before might be a bit of a challenge, the plate is bent and the teeth are very , very bad.The saw needs to be jointed and new teeth filed into it. Paul Sellers has a video on how to do just that. Sharpening a dull saw is really very easy to do. I learned how to do it and you can too.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. Lee Valley is having a Tool Sharpening seminar at the end of the month I might try to get in on.

Comment

Working...
                            X