Sheffield Foot Print Chisels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheffield Foot Print Chisels

I just picked up a set at a garage sale, they seem decent, are they?
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Sheffield Foot Print Chisels

Are they the red handled ones?
    sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

If they are the wood handled ones, I think they are made in Sweden . I have put together a set. They have all the earmarks of a Swedish made chisel, handle shape and blade thickness. Footprint was based in Sheffield, so they got stamped Sheffield. Mine are decent, not great, easy to sharpen, with excellent balance . Lee Valley has in the past sold Footprint chisels under their name. So ,yes, they are decent. As good as English made Stanley or Marple.

Comment

Yes they have wood handles 5 of the 7 have red printing 2 have black.
        Jerome
        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

I have some wooden Footprints, I bought as my fist set of chisels, they were stamped made in Sheffield. I have a catalogue from that time period It gives no indication of being outsourced a with full foundry there to make handtools. Decent enough steel.
          sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Mine have no "Made In Sheffield" , just Sheffield under the Footprint.. The English have at least six different wooden handle styles, so it doesn't make sense to use the classic Swedish one. http://galootopia.com/old_tools/chis...hisel-handles/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Here is a photo with every thing I got for $40.00Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1130246
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

Yes, those are like mine. Notice how the handle seems to fit your hand perfectly. They are later day classic Swedish, right down to the knurling on the brass ring.The short 1/4"? seems to be an odd one out.

Comment

Working...
                X