Jointing breakthrough!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointing breakthrough!

For any of you who have been reading along over the past year or so, I've been having a devil of a time getting any good out of my jointer. Seems I've had a breakthrough these past few days: I'm just not going to use it — I'll use a scrub plane and the planer instead.

I watched Rob Cosman go through the process of flattening a wide board so it could go through his planer instead of his jointer. It was a real eye-opener.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGuGFGAQTxE

So I gave it a try over the past few days and it's been working out pretty good!

Of note:
    Rob doesn't use winding sticks at all in his video. I gave this a try — constantly flipping the board and rocking it, and I'm just not good enough yet at determining where the high spot is that's causing the rocking. So this morning I used winding sticks (two short levels!) and my scrub plane and things worked pretty good.

I basically put the levels at the back half of the board and get things squared up, then put them at front half and do it again. The surface is pretty rough from the scrub plane, but the board generally doesn't rock too much after this.

Then when I'm done with the scrub plane, I run it through the planer (scrubbed side down first obvs) for a few passes on each side. As long as the board isn't rocking, it will go through the planer perfectly.

Huge breakthrough for me! I can actually mill up boards now!

Hopefully this helps anyone else in jointer-distress!
    maytagman and nnieman like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Jointing breakthrough!

Good to hear!

Nathan

Comment

With the planer use a piece of 3/4 in. Plywood as a sled. Screw the board to be planed on from the bottom. Use wedges to get it really stable. Then flatten the one side. Flip and run the board through to get thickness. Of course care will be taken with the screws so they are shallow enough the blades don't get a chance to trim them.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Saw this amazing planer sled yesterday actually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNg9BV4IF2Q

Seems fairly involved! Might make one down the road though, looks to be perfect.

Comment

Good to hear you are making progress,don't give up on your jointer,just put it on the back burner for awhile

Comment

For winding sticks, I got this from Christopher Schwarz, aluminum angle iron from the big store, one painted white, one painted black. Extruded aluminum is pretty accurate.

Comment

that's brilliant! Very good idea. I can make a couple of pairs of different lengths too. Thanks!!

Comment

Another solution for the planer. Shim your board level on your work bench so there is some space under it. Screw or tack a guide( about 1/2 by two inches) on each side that sits on the bench. These are rails that will support your piece as it goes through the planer. You will have the screw holes left after to cut off or otherwise deal with. I use this with thicker boards of two inches or more and it works very well.
                Egon likes this.

Comment

> You will have the screw holes left after to cut off

AHA! I was thinking this was a good idea except for the screw holes — but I never thought of just doing it right at the outer edge and cutting them off after! Brilliant!

Comment

I also saw one of those tips in finewoodworking or something that had it just using a cam clamp something like this, obviously much lower than the wood https://www.amazon.ca/Shop-Fox-D3347.../dp/B00012XE0A

Comment

Some pictures of converting a log into a square balk using only a planer.
                      the pictures may be self explanatory. It is not quite square as I did not take time to properly align the last two sides.
                      Egon
                      from

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                        Some pictures of converting a log into a square balk using only a planer.
                        the pictures may be self explanatory. It is not quite square as I did not take time to properly align the last two sides.
                        Love it. That's what I call "thinking outside of the box"
                        the other Ken
                        ------
                        "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

Thank you. There are times when you gotta use what's available.
                          Egon
                          from

Comment

Working...
                          X