Fastest way to regrind primary blade iron bevels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fastest way to regrind primary blade iron bevels

I didn't get the wheel balancing thing, just the wheel. I figured I'd try it as is and get the balancing kit afterwards if there was too much vibration. I use the grinder on low speed so vibration hasn't been an issue. I did get a diamond wheel dresser to true up the wheel.

I didn't get the rest, I just use the basic one that came with the grinder. One of my plane irons had a 25 degree primary bevel so I just used that to eyeball the setting for the grinder rest. It doesn't need to be exact since I set the bevel afterwards with the MKII guide. I try to get an even hollow between the front and rear edges of the primary bevel. If it's uneven I adjust the rest.

I'm still using my 800x King stone that I got with the LV stone pond about 10 years back. From that I move to a King 8000x stone and then if I feel like it I'll use some green compound on MDF. I've got a 4000x stone but it broke in half when I let it freeze so I don't use if much. I find with the hollow grind I can move from the 400x to 8000x without any issues. I've considered getting better stones or diamond plates but the budget always goes towards other tools.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Fastest way to regrind primary blade iron bevels

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

I dunno about the risk reduction. Risk of death from old age before the blade is ground properly!
      Hollow grind but you don't need to go to the very edge of the chisel (unless there is a nick). Protects from over heating and keeps the edge square.

Comment

Working...
      X