Concave Cup cutter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concave Cup cutter

Has anyone seen any thing like this that would range in size from 1/4 inch to 1"???

Click image for larger version

Name:	cupcutter.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	1138014

When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Concave Cup cutter

Spoke reamer or tenon cutter but not quite the same.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

do you have a link? I am going to try to modify a spade bit to see if I can get that to work.
      When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Chimera View Post
        do you have a link? I am going to try to modify a spade bit to see if I can get that to work.
        How do you plan to centre it Lisa? I assume that you are trying to create a relief with a depressed rim and a raised centre?

cheers

John

Comment

LeeValley:
          http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...,42288&p=45539

If this is for consistent sized dowell a revised spade bit should work. It may require a ring of the dowell size for guidance.
          Egon
          from

Comment

I must admit I'm intrigued....

Noel
            "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "
            John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Yes John that is what I want to do....I was thinking if I chopped the spade bit shank off really short so you could chuck it in the drill press that it would stay centered well enough for the decorative work I wanted to try with it.. I would be carving away all the back ground and leaving the "lumps".

Comment

Originally posted by Chimera View Post
                Yes John that is what I want to do....I was thinking if I chopped the spade bit shank off really short so you could chuck it in the drill press that it would stay centered well enough for the decorative work I wanted to try with it.. I would be carving away all the back ground and leaving the "lumps".
                I think that Egon's suggestion, for a guide which is also what I was going to suggest, is the best way to centre your drill bit.

Drill a hole with your spade bit thru' something hard (Elm, Oak) to use as a guide above the work piece. Then grind the profile that you want into the bit, removing the pilot in the centre. Then position your guide plate above the work piece and use the guide to keep your bit on target?

Comment

I hadn't thought that far ahead yet John but that would work on a flat surface...not so much on a turned pot....

Comment

Any chance of a photo and a description of what you're doing? Maybe we could figure out a jig?

Comment

If you are working on a flat surface with a sturdy drill press the contoured spade bit will work well.
                      Egon
                      from

Comment

I am just dreaming ahead at the moment...I have holidays in a couple of weeks and want to play in the shop. I am getting prepared. I will provide pictures when I get there in the process...I have so many things to do before then...I haven't even got my new lathe set up yet.....

Comment

Working...
                        X