Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work holding (on my bench)

Hey all

Been struggling since I started ww with work holding. Unless the work fits between the jaws of my front vice, it's almost certainly going to be a complete disaster to plane.

I've made up a bunch of different stops (round, 1" dowels), along with long, thin boards in various places, but things are always just going floppy on me all the time.

Is a tail vice what I'm missing here?

Thanks all
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Work holding (on my bench)

I have a planing stop at the end of my workbench. I also have one of those Lee Valley Wonder Dogs that I sometimes use but it's pretty slow and the minimum board with required often is too much to use it. In most cases, a planing stop and maybe a dog on the other side of the board keep the board from moving while planing.

Hand planing end-grain cutting boards is another matter, though. Those tend to move around like crazy so I have those clamped between dogs via my front vise.

Comment

I use all sorts of different configurations, depending on the size of what I'm planing.

If I'm using a stop, I generally need two... one in the direction of planing, and another for lateral support.

A doe's foot works well, as well.

All of the above, I generally hold in place with hold fasts... although mine are set for 3/4" dog holes... are you saying you have 1" dog holes? That's atypical, but Shwarz did build a bench with 1" dogs and quite liked it... anyway, I digress...

I generally don't use my tail vise, but that may just be because I often have too much behind the vice to use it effectively in that configuration (I should really clean/re-organize my shop). I'm also worried about tightening it too much, causing the board to bow... at that point, you're planing the board flat, but the board is under stress. When you release the stress, the board is no longer flat, but actually concave!

Cheers,
      Jeff

Comment

I use the tail vise and bench dogs for holding any face planed boards if they are sufficiently long which is 6 inches or longer for my bench, else I use a bench hook that I made up for smaller pieces. Generally, I surface larger boards and then partition them into the small box parts and so on. On occasion, that falls apart, especially when using up scraps then i go to the bench hook.

Ken

Comment

There a lots of ideas on the net for clamping using simple wedges. Here's one.

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entri...ench-workmates
          Cheers
          Randy

Comment

I use holdfasts and stops along with battens and doe's feet. For planing edges I usually lay the board on my bench on edge and hold with a duck's mouth and a wedge. I can also use holdfasts and clamp it to the edge of my bench. For end grain I either lay the plane down on the bench with the plane on its side, use a shooting board, or clamp the plane with holdfasts and a batten to the side of my bench with the end sticking up.

I have a few pics but no time right now.
            Frank
            SPCHT

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I use my tail vise 2-3 times more often than I use my front vise. I definitely wouldn't be without it.

Comment

Something I also struggled with for several years a long time ago. I refused to install a tail vise so came up with this system. I still use it on occasion but have other benches I use more regularly with slightly different work-holding using jigs. I rarely ever use a tail-vise to hold work. The article dates back many years but this is the beauty of woodworking. Relatively little ever becomes obsolete Hand Planing Stops

Norman
                Pirollo Design

http://www.pirollodesign.com

Comment

Working...
                X