bevel up vs. bevel down jointer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bevel up vs. bevel down jointer

Just wondering if if anyone's opinion changes on the virtues of bevel up vs. bevel down in the jointer configuration?
    I generally hear this debate in relation to smoothers and jack planes... but a jointer's task is a bit different, and generally isn't a finishing plane, so does the decision matter as much?
    I'm thinking about taking the plunge and grabbing a Veritas jointer, but debating internally about which configuration.

Thanks,
    --Jeff
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: bevel up vs. bevel down jointer

I have neither but I am in the process of making a wooden jointer and it will be a standard 45 degree set-up with bevel-down iron (Veritas of course). Were I buying one, I would get the Veritas bevel-up jointer because that uses the same irons as my smooth plane and my jack plane. I currently finish visible edges with the jack plane and am not too likely to change even after the jointer is finished and in service.

My 2 cents

Ken

Comment

I have many Veritas planes but my jointer of choice is an old Bailey No 7 with a Veritas iron. I cannot justify the $400 for a BU jointer when my No 7 does what is required at a fraction of the cost. I would get a BUS and BUJ before paying all that coin for a jointer, as nice as it is.
      Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

I have a Veritas bevel up jack and a vintage Stanley/Bailey bevel down #6. The jack is better on wide surfaces, end grain and narly grain. But on straight edge jointing, I don't sense much difference. The old Bailey is a bit bigger and heavier and I think I prefer it in that application. It can take off tissue thin shavings when properly set.
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

IMO it's either-or...it really depends on your preferences and doesn't have much to do with the actual result. I use my Veritas low-angle jack as a jointer for smaller boards. I have two #8 jointers (an old Stanley and a LN), one with a straight edge and one with a curved edge. And I have an old Stanley #7 that i use too, but less often. I generally prefer bevel-down planes, but my LA jack is one of my favourite planes, another is my LN #8, so...go figure!
          Frank
          SPCHT

Comment

Bevel up is 'easier' to setup and use. B Down has extra tear out control. Choose based on what you are doing, what wood you use and how proficient you are at sharpening.
            Normand Leblanc and JimPTBO like this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have both the Veritas BU Jointer and a vintage Stanley #7. I think both do a fine job of straightening edges. I can share blades between the BU Jointer and my BU smoother. I have never had a problem with surface finish that switching to the 38 degree bevel didn't handle. It also has an adjustable mouth to help with tear out control. I have never handled the Veritas Custom Jointer, but looking at the specs it looks like it is about a pound heavier. Depending on how you feel about weight that might influence your decision.

I am sure you would be happy with either.

Ray

Comment

I did not read all the replies ahead of me, but I'm lazy.

Either plane will work great for you. Pick the one YOU like!

I picked 6 Veritas bevel up planes for myself, because I LIKED bevel up, not because it was superior to bevel down.

The only thing that *might* sway you is that it's helpful to stick with one or the other.... if you are a bevel up person, make all your planes bevel up and you can share blades between planes, not to mention you will be comfortable with honing the blades for *any* of your planes.

If you already have a few bevel down planes, there is zero reason to switch to bevel up on the next plane.

Regards

Christian

Comment

I have noticed on my bevel up planes, the blade dulls (wears) on the top side just behide the edge (the side facing down that touches the wood). So when sharpening the bevel, more material needs to be removed to take away the wear on the top side. This is not the case with bevel down situation, since the dull edge is sharpened away with honing the bevel. One way around sharpening the bevel up blade is to use the Charlesworth method on honing the top of the blade to remove the dull edge. I don't particularly like this method which is also taught by Rob Cosman. Something to consider in your decision.
                  Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

Working...
                  X