Antique Tools/Tools of the Trade Show Fall 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique Tools/Tools of the Trade Show Fall 2017

Did anyone else here attend the Tools of the Trade show today in Pickering?

I was there, for the first time. Very intereting! And some stuff just not available.

Was looking at a Stanley 71 router plane for $75 with lot of extra bits and pieces, but someone else got it. I end up getting a used Veritas router plane with second blade for $95, so I was happy.

I was surprised how few router planes were available, and some of them were going for $120 to over $150. Since a brand new Veritas with two blades and sharpening blade holder is only $189, I don't see why you would want buy used.....

Was looking for wooden clamps, but there were none there at all. That was a surprise, at least for me.

Was also looking for vices (vicii?). Saw a few, but unless they are a LOT better than the Groz you can get for $145 to $155 new, I would consider the used ones overpriced.

The show was much larger than I had expected, and was getting very crowded when I left at 11AM. Glad i got there for 10AM. Given that the Woodstock show was on the same weekend, I was expecting less than a capacity crowd - guess Woodstock did not draw a lot of people away.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Antique Tools/Tools of the Trade Show Fall 2017

Yeah, bench vises were reallly overpriced. I looked for a vise that would be a good deal, as I am still trying to resist getting a benchcrafted vise, but got no relief.

I got a 1"-8tpi and a 3/4"-10tpi taps for $5 each. Should be useful for tapping in wood to fit the spindle of my lathe (the 1") and the thread of the Oneway livecenter (the 3/4").

I brought a friend with me, but he was mostly inot metalworking tools, which were very few there. He's wondering whether there is a similar show with emphasis on metalworking - does anyone know?

Comment

I missed it this time, but have been there every time for the last 3 years. Not any great deals anymore I find. You're better off with kijiji and ebay for items. Even with the shipping costs from the us.
      Steve The Drill Sergeant
      Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by agenkin View Post
        Yeah, bench vises were reallly overpriced. I looked for a vise that would be a good deal, as I am still trying to resist getting a benchcrafted vise, but got no relief.

I got a 1"-8tpi and a 3/4"-10tpi taps for $5 each. Should be useful for tapping in wood to fit the spindle of my lathe (the 1") and the thread of the Oneway livecenter (the 3/4").

I brought a friend with me, but he was mostly inot metalworking tools, which were very few there. He's wondering whether there is a similar show with emphasis on metalworking - does anyone know?
        I would love to find a metalworking related show up here, but I think arnfest would be the closest thing that would be worth going to.
        Steve The Drill Sergeant

Comment

I brought my little guy with me and picked up a saw vice and tooth set. He thought it was pretty fun!

Comment

I attended and I enjoyed myself but wasn't really looking for anything specific. I am trying to downsize in preparation for a move so bringing stuff home would have been a bad idea

I have noticed a general increase in prices too, but sometimes you can still find bargains. You never know what you will see there. Things seem to come and go in popularity. This time I thought there were more axes than usual.

I still prefer to buy things in person than off the internet if possible.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

As a vendor at the show I can maybe answer some questions. Prices are up a bit and that's because it is getting harder to find tools and the cost of fuel has risen. Also when packing for the show you have no idea what the crowd wants. I left some great saw at home and this time people wanted saws. Also didn't bring vises, mitre boxes same story. I have asked here what people want but no one wants to tell.
              Larry
              www.grandpastreasureschest.com

Comment

Originally posted by sarir View Post
                As a vendor at the show I can maybe answer some questions. Prices are up a bit and that's because it is getting harder to find tools and the cost of fuel has risen. Also when packing for the show you have no idea what the crowd wants. I left some great saw at home and this time people wanted saws. Also didn't bring vises, mitre boxes same story. I have asked here what people want but no one wants to tell.
                Larry
                I want deals on the things I don't know I need/want till I see them. Does that help?
                Steve The Drill Sergeant

Comment

Originally posted by schor View Post

I want deals on the things I don't know I need/want till I see them. Does that help?
                  Right !
                  and then if you see something you like, take a look at all the things on offer and ask for something you can't see any of. Then act all disappointed that there aren't any, and grudgingly ask the price on what you really want, then ask for a big discount.
                  Buyer's tactics
                  Its about getting a deal
                  Any idiot with money can pay full asking price.

[Of course, there are enough Seller's tactics to counter every Buyer's tactic, but its fun to play the game]

Comment

Working...
                  X