Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gunmetal Shoulder Plane - Steel sole coming away - help!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunmetal Shoulder Plane - Steel sole coming away - help!?

Hi,

I have a really nice old Norris gunmetal shoulder plane however the steel sole has come away from the plane (see pictures).

Is there a simple way to fix this? There is plenty of play there in the sense that I can push it back together but am wondering how easy this it to fix? I am ok at working wood but have zero experience with metal. If I have to send it away for someone to fix then it is a valuable enough plane that I would be willing to do that, Any suggestions helpful!

Thanks
    Andrew
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Gunmetal Shoulder Plane - Steel sole coming away - help!?

My first thought would be to inject some epoxy and clamp it together.
    I've never done such a thing, though, and I don't own a shoulder plane, so... I wouldn't do it unless others also agree

Cheers,
    --Jeff

Comment

We are going to need more photos before you can get much of an answer.

Specifically how is the bottom attached to the plane?
      Pins, screws, ??

If its pinned and the pins are loose than they can be carefully peened to attach it back together.

Nathan

Comment

I'll take some more photos tonight and post them. It is a Norris 20E shoulder plane if that helps (I assume all will be made the same). This isn't the exact item but it would be the same construction as this plane at this link: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/172359634170

Thanks
        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
          My first thought would be to inject some epoxy and clamp it together.
          I've never done such a thing, though, and I don't own a shoulder plane, so... I wouldn't do it unless others also agree

Cheers,
          --Jeff
          I'd be interested to hear if this is a good approach. I read on another forum about a product called JB Weld. That said, it is an expensive plane so don't want to damage it further messing around with it or minimizing its value.

Comment

Andrew,

That plane requires some rebuild. The Norris infills like that are beautiful tools that deserve restoration rather than a mere repair. Perhaps some of the fellows know a hand tool restorer near you??

I did one of those for a friend a couple of years back and the issue was that the wood had been allowed to get damp and it swelled and fractured the join between the sole and the sides of the metal body; not too difficult to repair but it does take some finesse to make a join repair that is not too obvious. Were it my plane, I would not use epoxy to attempt to repair it.

My 2 cents

Ken

Comment

I'm with Ken.
              Epoxy or jb weld would be an absolute last resort.

Im not super familiar with how they attached the bottom to the body of that style of plane.

Nathan

Comment

I imagine that the steel is a veneer and has been sweated onto the brass sole with solder. It should be removable by heating the sole to melt the solder. It would then need to be re-attached, after all is flattened, by sweating.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by derekcohen View Post
                  I imagine that the steel is a veneer and has been sweated onto the brass sole with solder. It should be removable by heating the sole to melt the solder. It would then need to be re-attached, after all is flattened, by sweating.
                  A key issue would be getting the sole positioned accurately relative to the mouth and sides. I would think it would need to end up within a few thous in each of 2 directions. Any thoughts on how to do that accurately?

Craig

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. This is definately a job that is outside of my capabilities (for now). Does anyone know of a person that fixes planes like this? I live in Calgary, AB, Canada so it's pretty unlikely there will be someone close by (but maybe?). It's a valuable plane so I'd be willing to ship it to get it fixed. Any suggestions?

Thanks
                    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by andrewsco View Post
                      Thanks guys for your input. This is definately a job that is outside of my capabilities (for now). Does anyone know of a person that fixes planes like this? I live in Calgary, AB, Canada so it's pretty unlikely there will be someone close by (but maybe?). It's a valuable plane so I'd be willing to ship it to get it fixed. Any suggestions?
                      You might contact Konrad Sauer:

http://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.ca

Konrad is a great guy and extraordinarily knowledgable about planes. Even if he can't help you, he might know someone experienced in the techniques used in constructing your plane.

Incidentally, my guess ("WAG") is that your plane was constructed by joining a sheet of steel to the bottom of the plane. Then the mouth was cut in and the sides trimmed to width and length. But I could be completely wrong.

BTW, do you have any idea how the damage occurred to your plane? Did shavings get jammed into a void between the layers?

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X