Clear All

• Could this be used as an Arbor Press?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BF7B5290-1AF3-4716-88E5-C6627E846753.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1152935https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autres-outil...ationFlag=true

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Could this be used as an Arbor Press?

Is that a book binder's press?

Comment

It has a very limited working depth, would be more useful with a hole in the base under the screw.

Comment

Yes that's a book binding press. Not sure how much pressure it could exert before failure and they are fairly sought after on the antiques market. I sold one a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
          Yes that's a book binding press. Not sure how much pressure it could exert before failure and they are fairly sought after on the antiques market. I sold one a few years ago.
          That's what I thought. Maybe there should be a bar across the bed under the screw to apply pressure across the spine of a book? Possibly also a table or tray to go under the screw for laminating leather/coverings to the front and back? It's a nice little antique piece. As Jim said, knowing what its designed for, I'd be afraid to apply too much pressure with it for fear of breaking a casting.

Otherwise .... yes, a press doesn't care what it's pressing.

Comment

Thanks people. Yes, it’s a book press, but I wondered about what it can press. Makes sense about needing a hole, too. I will pass, but am on the lookout for an old manual arbor press. Thanks for the info!

Sophie

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thank you for not destroying that antique!! There are lots of sources for new arbor presses (mainly from Asia). I have one from Busy Bee and it is a decent working bit of kit. There must be no small number of used ones of various makes kicking about as I did an E-Bay search and came up with dozens of new and used ones.

Ken
              Ed in Leaside and sophien like this.

Comment

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ss/A-p8604647e

Comment

Thanks meaded. My hope is to find a nice antique, but it’s nice to see one brand new at an affordable price.

Comment

Working...
                  X