My Moxon vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Moxon vise

I was inspired by Norman's post a while ago on his Moxon vise, so here's mine. Nothing special, but it's a nice change from carpentry/must do jobs. A small step moving forward setting up my new shop...

Cherry with two coats of T&T Varnish oil/Tung oil mix.

dwight80, WCraig and 4 others like this.
    Frank
    SPCHT
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: My Moxon vise

Great lookin', Frank! I especially liked the leather lined face. Something tells me you'll be using that baby for years to come.
    All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
    - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Looks good! Nicely designed.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Nice. Where did you get the leather for the jaws?

EDIT: Shouldn't the leather be on both faces?
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

Very nice! I've been using mine so far. Like the fact that these vises are portable. Have it against a wall now, as seen in right hand side of pic. takes so little space is what I like most of it. You will enjoy it! The cherry is a nice touch.. The foreground shot of sample dovetail joints is for another post elsewhere

Norman
          Pirollo Design

http://www.pirollodesign.com

Comment

Very nice addition to your shop. I find mine handy for routing mortises. The jaws provide a stable base for the router. I added a track down the center of the inside jaw so I can insert stops for the router. Very handy that way.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Randy, the leather came with the Benchcrafted kit I got from LV. I've seen kits with a corky-rubbery liner too. Not sure why only one side, maybe because the fixed (rear) jaw is supposed to line up with the from the the bench, which might be more difficult to do with a soft liner? It's not necessary though, you don't even have to tighten the hand screws if you spin them closed, the grip is so tight.

Norman, the cherry was scraps from a few different projects, I do like cherry though. Looking forward to seeing those dovetails...they look pretty good from here.
              pirollodesign likes this.
              Frank
              SPCHT

Comment

How long is your vise, and what is the space between the hand screws?
                Thanks, have a good weekend.
                https://www.red9designs.ca

Comment

Nice. The vise looks almost too good to use.

Could you comment on your bench hold downs. who makes them? Do they mar the wood being held down? Thanks.
                  Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

Originally posted by Maxwell View Post
                    Hi Maxwell, I'm not at home right now, so I'll give you the measurements tomorrow (probably). I did make the vise oversize in all dimensions, so offhand the distance between the screws are around 27" (24" in the instructions, I think), and the total length is around 37". To b confirmed.

Originally posted by Kunzwerks View Post
                    Nice. The vise looks almost too good to use.

Could you comment on your bench hold downs. who makes them? Do they mar the wood being held down? Thanks.
                    Thanks,

coming from you I'm flattered. The holdfasts are Gramercy. I bought them from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...63&cat=1,41637

These holdfasts are a great value. They look so simple, but are really hard to get just right if you try to make them on your own. They work flawlessly. This said, they can leave a mark on wood if you bang them hard enough, so for projects that I'm working on (projects that can't be dinged), I put a piece of thin scrap between the holdfast jaw and the project. For things like the Moxon vise, I don't really care, speed of execution is the most important thing for me, and the most frequent use i have for holdfasts is holding down stops or jigs, so, again, I don't really care about a ding in the wood as long as it's not on a project.
                    Frank
                    SPCHT

Comment

Once you get used to using holdfasts on a good bench, you'll never got back. So versatile and easy to use!
                      Cheers
                      Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Frank D. View Post
                        Thanks,

coming from you I'm flattered. The holdfasts are Gramercy. I bought them from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...63&cat=1,41637

These holdfasts are a great value. They look so simple, but are really hard to get just right if you try to make them on your own. They work flawlessly. This said, they can leave a mark on wood if you bang them hard enough, so for projects that I'm working on (projects that can't be dinged), I put a piece of thin scrap between the holdfast jaw and the project. For things like the Moxon vise, I don't really care, speed of execution is the most important thing for me, and the most frequent use i have for holdfasts is holding down stops or jigs, so, again, I don't really care about a ding in the wood as long as it's not on a project.
                        Thanks (and Randy, too). I've been considering a pair, so I think I'll get a couple. Geez, I'm flattered that you're flattered. : ).
                        Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

Nice build! the saw rack on your wall is such an elegant combination of push and pull saws. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxwell View Post
                            Hi Maxwell,

Sorry, forgot et to take the measurements. Free space between screws is 26”. Back jaw is 38”, front jaw is 34”.

Originally posted by Woodn't Be Nice View Post
                            Nice build! the saw rack on your wall is such an elegant combination of push and pull saws. Thanks for sharing.
                            Thanks. Been using both kinds of saws for over 30 years...I think I prefer Japanese saws but I’m not sure.
                            Frank
                            SPCHT

Comment

Thanks Frank, Have a great weekend.
                              https://www.red9designs.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X