Mitre Box dilemma, looking for suggestions/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Box dilemma, looking for suggestions/advice

I have two older mitre boxes. One is a Langdon and the other is Goodall Pratt. both are very similar. The Goodall Pratt seems in better shape and more complete than the Langdon MillerFalls. Both have some bubble gum bronzing action in similar positions near the front post. I would like to take two and make one a functional user unit. Not all pieces are compatible but some are. Where the Goodall Pratt is in better shape to begin with that is the unit I feel I should use as the working project. One of my concerns is, would I anger the hand tool gods, haha, to cannibalise the other? I paid very little for both, and both came with fantastic Disston backsaws. As far as the crappy bronzing on both, I have a welder/machinist locally that is fantastic with cast and has done many repairs to some of my shop power tools. I trust him to fix or advice on how to proceed repairing the bubble gum.

Goodall Pratt Box
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	1172189Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	4.45 MB
ID:	1172190

Langdon Miller Falls

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	1172191Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	4.72 MB
ID:	1172192Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	4.77 MB
ID:	1172193

Attached Files
    Last edited by Shawn_S; 03-12-2018, 04:29 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Mitre Box dilemma, looking for suggestions/advice

IMHO I would cannabilise the two and make one accurate usable mitre box. Accuracy being the prime requirement as neither will be collectors items in that condition with repairs even if done well. Have fun using them instead of a screaming scms. .

Comment

Accuracy for sure is most important. Yeah, I'll clean them and maybe some fresh paint on a part or two while I have things apart, but I'm not looking to make a museum piece. End goal is a reliable solid user. I figured they are past collector worthy, glad to hear a second on that. haha

Comment

Shawn, what specifically are you missing? The GP is older as the Langdon boxes came later after MF bought GP.

What models are they, I cannot read the label? I might have some parts.

If they are functional I would keep them as they are and not worry about the brazing. What is key is to have a good back saw of the appropriate depth for the box that is long, good and sharp. Set the stops so you don’’t hit metal and put it to use. Used with a shooting board you can do some very fine trim work with these.
        Last edited by ErikM; 03-12-2018, 06:59 PM.
        Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Originally posted by ErikM View Post
          Shawn, what specifically are you missing? The GP is older as the Langdon boxes came later after MF bought GP.

What models are they, I cannot read the label? I might have some parts.

If they are functional I would keep them as they are and not worry about the brazing. What is key is to have a good back saw of the appropriate depth for the box that is long, good and sharp. Set the stops so you don’’t hit metal and put it to use. Used with a shooting board you can do some very fine trim work with these.
          Thanks Erik. I'll have to get into them to know what I'm missing. But I am pretty sure the GP is as complete as you could expect buying it from someone that was using it as a decoration. The GP came with the BIG 28" backsaw. I can still see most of the etching on it, Goodall Pratt, made by Henry Disston. The Langdon came with a disston, but is a bit shorter and shollower cut, and somebody coated it with some sort of clear coat because it was another decoration piece. haha.

Comment

Crazy to put clear coat on any metal tool, but it could be cleaned off with some effort. I have a 73 and a 74 Langdon but one is with my father in Fall River as who needs more than one mitre box LOL? The saw sounds interesting, I hope that it was not clear coated also.
            Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Have you seen this website, Langdon Mitre Box Reference Site. Might give you some useful information. https://sites.google.com/site/langdonmitreboxes/home

Comment

Originally posted by ErikM View Post
                Crazy to put clear coat on any metal tool, but it could be cleaned off with some effort. I have a 73 and a 74 Langdon but one is with my father in Fall River as who needs more than one mitre box LOL? The saw sounds interesting, I hope that it was not clear coated also.
                Haha, yeah, who needs more than one for sure. I some how have 3, the Langdon, GP, and a Stanley 357 or what ever that number is. I don't understand the clear coat either, although I have heard of people doing it to their framing squares to keep them from rusting...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank English View Post
                  Have you seen this website, Langdon Mitre Box Reference Site. Might give you some useful information. https://sites.google.com/site/langdonmitreboxes/home
                  No I have not seen that site. Thanks so much for sharing. I've seen the MillerFalls site which talks a bit about their box, but not like this one. Excellent. Should be lots of usefully info there.

Comment

Working...
                  X