Tools of the Trade Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools of the Trade Show

How did you all make out ? Good stuff or rusty chipped users ? I was disappointed at the quality of the planes for sale. Some I recognized as having been offered for sale two years ago .
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Tools of the Trade Show

I picked up a package of NOS hacksaw blades, a wooden spokeshave, and a couple of big gouges.

The gouges are going to be for pole lathe turning. I ground and honed them last night and gave them a spin on some rather dry maple on my pole lathe. They both worked, the heavier one seemed to work better.

The spokeshave needed sharpening, which only took about 10 minutes. I think I need to trim the bedding on the shave body a tiny bit, as I cannot get a very fine shaving. I like to be able to adjust it down to very light cuts for final passes. I tries it on some very dry red oak, and it did tolerably well, but as I said, unable to pull a really fine shaving.

A bunch of us went to the local pub for lunch and came back for another pass through the hall before hitting the road. The dealers I spoke with seemed to be reasonably happy with the turnout and the sales. I think the Tool Of The Day may have been hammers this time.

darrell
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Comment

Re: Tools of the Trade Show

I got an old split-nut R H Smith saw (with the crazy beaver medallion), a set of gauge nuts for my builder's square, and a bow drill (don't see those very often), all for reasonable prices. It was a bit crowded when I arrived 1/2 hour after opening, but that thinned out eventually. Well worth the trip just to see that much old tool stuff in one place, and the Sellers had a good variety of interesting items tempting me to buy more stuff I don't need.

Comment

Working...
      X