Foot powered fret saw details

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot powered fret saw details

Rob (iamtooler) was looking for some more details on the fret saw I picked up recently as shown in this thread. https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...43-my-20-score

Thought it might be more useful if I posted in a separate thread in case someone is looking in future.

The ex-handle area of the saw is inserted into a piece of tubing which rides through a couple of hardwood blocks. The threaded rod beside the tubing is likely needed to limit any flex in the guide blocks. A spring (extended with some copper wire presumably to lower the tension, or maybe to make it fit if a replacement) provides return to the up position. The tubing needs a bit of clean up but it rides fairly smoothly. There is a pin through the tubing which hits the underside of the top wooden guide to limit the upwards travel. The small aluminum plate at the bottom is where the actuator attaches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180416_131518.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	1179814
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180416_131557.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	1179815
    The actuator is a drummer's pedal- novel and maybe comfortable but not too efficient (if that matters here) since it changes linear motion to rotational then back to linear to pull down on the saw. The white piece of wire is just one I stuck in to show how the action would be changed back to linear. The link between the pedal and the saw mechanism was not included for my $9. If I was building one from scratch I might just use a length of rope or wire with a stirrup for my foot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180416_131649.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1179816
    Last edited by Kayak Jim; 04-16-2018, 03:53 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Foot powered fret saw details

Thanks, no wonder I could not see how it worked from original pic. It makes my shin ache just thinking about it, I was thinking of a treadle like a sewing machine.
    Rob

Comment

Re: Foot powered fret saw details

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Noel
      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "
      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Working...
      X