Stuff my Uncle gave me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff my Uncle gave me.

He has been a carpenter since before I was born. He reminds me a lot of my Dad though my Dad would hate that I think that. He is pushing 80 now and slowed way down. He has lost a lot of strength but for me to qualify that he had the strength of 4 men in his hands. Now its down to one man. It saddens me to see him like this. however it makes me very proud to have just a few of his tools in my shop.

I made this clamp rack today. And promptly filled it up. Here I thought I made it bigger than I needed. LOL

Most of this tray of spring clamps were his. There are a dozen or so small C clamps under them. Im proud to have them. I will think of him every time I use them.

nnieman likes this.
    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Stuff my Uncle gave me.

Oh forgot to mention. The rack is triangles of plywood cut 12" horizontal and 10" vertical. I screwed and clued them to an old shelf that was made out of pine. I then screwed that into the studs it would reach. Its about 4' wide and the racks have 3" between them. They are on the back wall of my shop across from where the assembly/ outfeed will be. THere was a shelf system where it is now. That is how much I was able to put away already into the cabinets. Feels great.
    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

I have some of my fathers tools. I feel connected to him every time they are in my hands. Today would be his birthday if he were still alive. On a lighter note: Nice rack.
      KenL likes this.

Comment

It is nice to have tools like that Greg; thanks for showing them. I have a few tools from my Grandfather, my father, my brothers and even one from my Great Grandfather. The men have all passed away but I somehow feel connected to them whenever I use their (my?) tools. Treasures for certain!

Ken

Comment

I found two Disston hand saws in my fathers garage, a rip and a crosscut. They are a bit rusty but wicked sharp, my father was a manager in a sawmill, he had his saws sharpened by the men who worked in the file room. I worked in the mill during high school, about once a week myself and another student would have to carry the huge bandsaw blades from the planning mill up a set of winding stairs to the file room which was next to the sawers;
          the men who cut the raw logs into boards. I always took a few moments to watch the sawers work as they flipped the logs to get the most lumber out of each log, I was amazed at the speed at which they worked. Now as I use my Dads saws I think not only of him but of the two old gentlemen who sharpened all the mills saws by hand, and of the skill of the sawers who worked with such skill and speed.
          KenL likes this.

Comment

Working...
          X