Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I using the Veritas MkII Power Sharpener wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I using the Veritas MkII Power Sharpener wrong?

Hey all

After saving and waiting for many months, my MKII power sharpener finally arrived last week. Have to say I've not been more disappointed with a product in my recent memory.

It doesn't seem to fit any of the blades/chisels I own. The two pictured are from my Veritas mitre plane and LAJ. The last one shows a Veritas bench chisel.

The tool holder barely grips the end of those plane irons, and doesn't actually have enough room to grab the chisel properly. Even if they were long enough, I can't see how you'd possibly be able to get an iron square in this thing.

Surely I'm using this $479 Veritas product wrong with all of my Veritas plane irons. Someone please tell me I am. They wouldn't release a sharpener that doesn't actually work with most of the irons they sell would they?

2. I stuck the wrong sandpaper disc to the wrong platter and had to take it off. It took a lot of effort, ruined the sanding disc and I think ruined the platter. It's covered in this extremely sticky and now hard glue.

Anyone got any advice? Besides "send it back", my current inclination.

Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Am I using the Veritas MkII Power Sharpener wrong?

Yes you Are. I would do a few things differently than this guy but it will get you started.

https://vimeo.com/132747403
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

god I'm an idiot.

Full disclosure: I also hung a door upside-down yesterday......Thanks Rusty.

Comment

As per the video this guy is using the left side of the disc which means it's turning in towards the sharp edge and could catch and tear. I would probably use the right side and hone off the possible burr that could be created.
        KenL likes this.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

I agree with Rusty!

It is not a good idea to have the abrasives turning towards the sharp edge when power grinding or sharpening on sheet media lest there be a small wrinkle or deflection in the paper that the sharp edge can catch. That can get rather exciting rather quick. I grind/hone towards the sharp edge all the time by hand and on the grinder but I never use a belt sander such that the belt is running towards the sharp edge. Period. Life is too short to enjoy eating tools after the belt catches. I would apply the same logic to the Veritas Mk II platen.

My 2 cents

Ken

Comment

If the instructions that came with it aren't clear enough you might want to give that feedback to LV.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I use both sides of the disk. Never had a problem and been using for years. This stops the edge from developing a skew since the outside of the platter turns faster than the inside there for one edge of your tool gets ground more than the other if you just use one side of the disk. I alternate back and forth. The disk is so well secured to the platen it’s unlikely to develop a fold and catch. Just my experience.

p.s. I am very happy with my grinder. Puts a razor sharp edge on most tools very quickly.

wayne

Comment

To remove the glue off the platen I believe I have used either alcohol or contact cement adhesive solvent.

Comment

Originally posted by wayjep View Post
                  I use both sides of the disk. Never had a problem and been using for years. This stops the edge from developing a skew since the outside of the platter turns faster than the inside there for one edge of your tool gets ground more than the other if you just use one side of the disk. I alternate back and forth. The disk is so well secured to the platen it’s unlikely to develop a fold and catch. Just my experience.

p.s. I am very happy with my grinder. Puts a razor sharp edge on most tools very quickly.

wayne
                  Can't you do the same thing on the right side of center? You will want to be close to the band aids if that razor sharp ...........ever does catch up! LOL
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by saltcod View Post
                    god I'm an idiot.

Full disclosure: I also hung a door upside-down yesterday......Thanks Rusty.
                    Pics or it never happened.
                    beachburl likes this.
                    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                    X