Bailey #5 Tote Screw ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailey #5 Tote Screw ??

A friend of mine needs a screw that fits the front part of the tote for a Bailey #5. I think those screws are the same for all the planes but they are a weird size.

Does anyone have one in their spare parts drawer that they would be willing to part with?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	bailpart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1182932
    Cheers
    Randy
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bailey #5 Tote Screw ??

I presume it's the #10 screw. Am I right.

Comment

I guess so. It’s the one shown on the diagram and it looks like the size of a #10 but it is not commonly available size and thread count.
      Cheers
      Randy

Comment

I know a guy with lots of parts, check out the facebook page, "damgoodusers" (all one word) he is located in edmonton and has tonnes of plane parts. I beleive the user oldtimers was refering to screw # 10 as listed on the diagram but you seem to want screw #15 on the diagram.

Comment

Thanks will do
          Cheers
          Randy

Comment

Evan is correct,Randy is looking for item #15. # 10 does have the same thread ,but a different head shape.the round head Randy is looking for is less common as the smaller Bailies only had one screw holding on the tote,and when interchanging screws fron model to model you must be very careful,as exact length is critical as the thread depth is very shallow,so to short a screw may strip,and the wall thickness at the bottom of the thread is quite thin so too long a screw can bust through the sole of the plane.I do have a few spares of item #10 Randy,if you want one,pm me your mailing address.the head could be modified to resemble the correct screw
            Last edited by al.m..; 05-01-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I was curious about this and it appears that the screws used were actually 7/32-20 which would be closer to a #12 than it is to a #10. I did quite a lot of reading on the subject and the general consensus is the size that I cited. BUT, there are many different opinions (not facts!) on the subject and the size may have changed in more modern planes. It would seem that the best bet is to measure the screw that Randy's friend needs rather than assume that it is a #10 which could seem to fit and then strip the female threads in the cast iron.

Randy, can you measure the major diameter of the thread?

I have a newer Stanley plane but that screw is not in the tote of mine at all and I have no Bailey pattern planes to measure. If Al has parts, that might also be a reasonably safe bet; assuming that the planes are similar in age.

Ken

Comment

Stanley used a unique thread on their planes . i have never bothered to compare the Record threads. So it is very unlikely that you will find any stock thread that matches . Obviously it can be custom made but a visit to the Pickering Tool show or the purchase of a scrap plane would be a cheaper alternative if authenticity is vital . Most battered user planes are relatively inexpensive and a good source of doner parts for collectors, something i do frequently
                WCraig likes this.

Comment

Working...
                X