Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick release clamps what brand what model?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick release clamps what brand what model?

This will be for a horizontal fence project.The boards will be roughly 1x6xi 3" 1/2
    I need the to hold the boards while I put the screws in.
    The grip must be at least 6"
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Quick release clamps what brand what model?

Put a screw in the post just below where the board goes & rest one end of the board on the screw.
    iamtooler likes this.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

These are predrilled steel posts (search PostMaster at Lowes or see my recent posts around here)
      And I do need two such clamps, I have none

Comment

Originally posted by PF4Wood View Post
        These are predrilled steel posts (search PostMaster at Lowes or see my recent posts around here)
        I know from your previous posts that you are careful with you money, but in this case I'd recommend that you look for quality instead of price. I've had several makes and styles of "quick clamps" and the only ones that have consistently worked properly without failing in action have been the Irwin style. This style is probably made in as good a quality under other names, but this is the style that I have had for the longest without a failure. I made the mistake of buying a "discount" brand from a sale table at Home Depot one day about ten years ago. Not only did they not clamp without slipping, but several of them broke while being tightened.

If all you need is two, spend the extra to get decent ones and they'll last you fr the rest of your life.

Click image for larger version  Name:	clamp.JPG Views:	1 Size:	137.0 KB ID:	1185560
        Last edited by John Bartley; 05-19-2018, 08:00 AM.
        mikeddd likes this.

Comment

I agree with John.

Ive got some of the cheaper ones and they are really light duty.

Nathan

Comment

I got the cheap ones on sale at Canadian Tire as well ...the trigger cracked and came off ...so I can't use them anymore and I do understand what you are saying
            The 6" Irvin ones have bad reviews on Lowes. I set my eyes on Irwin too as brand (well what else is there ? Princess Auto :-)) ) but it seems that Irwin has issues to with some batches

So Irwin it is but now..Heavy duty or medium duty?
            Lowes has them in 12, 24 and 36" for just a couple of bucks difference (34" sells for $36, no taxes today!)

Comment

So Irwin it is but now..Heavy duty or medium duty?
              Lowes has them in 12, 24 and 36" for just a couple of bucks difference (34" sells for $36, no taxes today!)
              For what it's worth .... we're only talking about a few dollars .... buy the heavy duty version and buy a couple each of two or three lengths. You'll use them. You'll find things to do with them that you'd never dream of..... I have one here that has a hole drilled thru' one face, with a nipple and hose attached to it. I use it for pressure testing the main metering valves on chainsaw and trimmer motors ..... whodathunk?
              cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1449.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	609.0 KB
ID:	1185580
              Last edited by John Bartley; 05-19-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

:-)))

Comment

Oh-oh that does make a differences!

On the clamps: Good ones you have checked out yourself. Ones that can exert reasonable pressure.
                  I've several of the inexpensive kind; they are really good at hanging on the wall but not much else.
                  Egon
                  from
                  The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I bought four of the craftex cx ones about a year ago and am very pleased with them

Comment

Irwin all the way. Or,,,,,,,Go spend some coin on Vice grips or Kreg clamps.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

For your application, I'd probably use these guys:

Click image for larger version

Name:	16F0291s1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1185618

The jaws adjust to open quite wide. I find them to be really handy - quick on and off, and you don't have a bar sticking out in your way.

I've seen a bessey version of the same for sale at HD, but I haven't looked at them closely.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Once again the reality is if we had all the information we need we could probably suggest the best clamp and or solution. Horizontal boards on 2 sides of a post master might allow a clamp to work or they may not. If the jaw is too big the board on one side might get in the way of the jaw as shown on Ryan's clamps. Alternatively a simple spacer block Jig that could slide up and down on the post would be a solution and guarantee your spacing. You may need a different method for each side and If every board is a different width you may have to rip them all BTW.
                          "Do it Right!"

Comment

you clamp just the most to the bottom board on each side and then the other boards rest on this as they are being installed

Comment

you clamp just the most to the bottom board on each side and then the other boards rest on this as they are being installed
                              When you are doing this, remember to check the boards to make sure they are all the same width as you install the,. When I did my deck last year I discovered (yet again) how much difference there can be in lumber sizes, even when off the same lift from the mill. If you get a couple of boards off by even 1/4", the whole fence will look wrong. As you install, when you find a board that's wrong, you can either discard it, or shim it to "look" correct.

just a thought ...

Comment

Working...
                              X