Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick release clamps what brand what model?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quick release clamps what brand what model?

I need ~150 for my fence
    I ordered 250 from Rona knowing that they are as you said+ cracked, warped and so on
    I hope that 60% good boards was a correct assumption :-)
    The big advantage of the posts I am using is that they are marked every 1ft and they are pre drilled, you will see immediately if you are off, I love the way they are built ! https://www.masterhalco.com/wp-conte...80-English.pdf

BTW can I assume that when they deliver lumber it could be a better quality than when you pick if from the store?
    I find it challenging to find good boards when everybody already went through the pile and only bad boards are left on display
    I guess it would be better to ask them to get you a new skid of boards down from where they are stored but they won't always do it (big box stores)
    Last edited by PF4Wood; 05-20-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by PF4Wood View Post
      you clamp just the most to the bottom board on each side and then the other boards rest on this as they are being installed
      I thought you were alternating the boards side to side with roughly 3-1/2 inches between them. That's what your picture looked like.If you're you're not spacing them why do you need a clamp?
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

The big box won't handpick your boards and it sounds like you will be returning a 100 odd boards. Good luck proving they were all damaged goods. you may have to pay restocking fees too.

1 x 6 will be at best 3/4's x 5 -1/2 unless they are maybe special at 1 inch thick rough sawn boards which typically are 7/8ths thick. If you don't have spaces the fence may last longer cause the kids won't be using it to climb like a ladder and breaking every other board. good luck.
        Last edited by Rusty; 05-20-2018, 10:02 AM.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

I thought you were alternating the boards side to side with roughly 3-1/2 inches between them. That's what your picture looked like.If you're you're not spacing them why do you need a clamp?
          this is the design, the whole idea is that the boards will cover the steel posts on both sides

Click image for larger version

Name:	ByNUXiA.png
Views:	2
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	1185799

Comment

Originally posted by PF4Wood View Post
            I need ~150 for my fence
            I ordered 250 from Rona knowing that they are as you said+ cracked, warped and so on
            I hope that 60% good boards was a correct assumption :-)
            The big advantage of the posts I am using is that they are marked every 1ft and they are pre drilled, you will see immediately if you are off, I love the way they are built ! https://www.masterhalco.com/wp-conte...80-English.pdf

BTW can I assume that when they deliver lumber it could be a better quality than when you pick if from the store?
            I find it challenging to find good boards when everybody already went through the pile and only bad boards are left on display
            I guess it would be better to ask them to get you a new skid of boards down from where they are stored but they won't always do it (big box stores)
            The short answer is no.

They will not sort them at all.

Make sure you can return them with no penalty, RONA is usually pretty good to deal with.

Nathan

Comment

I have Irwins but for me by far the best are Woflcraft. I can only find them at Reno Depot. The jaws spread apart by themselves so you can actually operate them with one hand (unlike the Irwins) and the clamping pressure is greater than the Irwins. They also make it easier to get parallel.

https://www.renodepot.com/en/clamp-b...lectedStoreCmd

pirollodesign and eilliac like this.
              Frank
              SPCHT

Comment

I bought two of these Bessey quick clamps recently to try them out.
                https://www.amazon.ca/Bessey-6-Inch-...essey+ezs+15-8
                They do what their suppose to just like a Rolls Royce does a Dodge, but are they worth the extra expense of the Irwin's, I'm not convinced yet.
                Have a great week.
                https://www.red9designs.ca

Comment

I've learnt so much and its only a fence, the guys on here are so kind sharing all this knowledge and experience

Comment

yeah they are :-)

Thank you guys

I got two Irwins heavy duty ...one of them the old model with Aluminium trigger and plates ..
                    I was missing one of the plastic covers from the clamps...I took one for ..a medium duty and took the clamps to the casher. Wrong move ...now I need to go back to Lowes to get the right covers ...

I had no time to shop around and Lowes had a promo , 25% off for these plus no taxes...I could not miss the deal
                    These things are really strong I did use them over the weekend

Comment

I've got a few different brands laying around. I don't find a lot of difference between them in use. The 36 inch Maximum ones they put on sale at Crappy Tire have to be the best return on investment. I think I got them for 14 dollars each. Blue with yellow pads.

You've got to joint your lumber anyways, right?

Comment

I would second what Bender said; no help to the OP but for others who have the same question. Any of these types of clamps should only be used for light-duty work (which should be obvious from the dimensions of the clamp bars don't you think?) and are not really intended for gorilla-like grips on the handles. I have some from different makers including really cheap ones from CTC that were sold under their Jobmate brand and all have soldiered on for many years now. The only one that ever broke on me did not survive a 12 foot drop onto concrete (no surprise there!).

There are better clamps than CTC's Jobmate for sure but anything will hold a board to a fencepost! The Maximum brand clamps are pretty much the same as the Irwin ones so watch for them on sale at CTC to get a decent clamp for a reasonable price.

My 2 cents

Ken

Comment

Bungee cord!
                          Egon
                          from
                          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                          X