Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A. Monty handplane..a gift from my cousin...very cool...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A. Monty handplane..a gift from my cousin...very cool...

My cousin was passing thru town last week and surprised me with this old hand plane she found at an antique show where she lives in Vancouver.....Wow I've never seen anything like this before. I've done a bit of googling and searched here a bit, but not coming up with much other than they were made in Quebec in a place called Roxton. It is 27 inches long so thinking it was for levelling larger tabletops or beams maybe. Looks like at one time it had a front handle but appears to have been sawed off. The main handle has 3 very old looking nails holding it on (assuming it was glued also) and is a bit loose. I was really impressed with the wooden shim that holds the backing plate, and the blade. The metal backing plate has something stamped on it, but even with my magnified lamp in my shop I cannot make out what it says as It is stamped very lightly. I don't really want to take a wire brush to it and ruin the look of it....Does anyone know anything about these planes. I'm thinking of making a nice box for it with a glass front and mounting it my shop. I'd like to have a little history about it, and perhaps put a small card inside with some info on it so whoever ends up with it knows a little about it. Sorry about my plane terminology, don't really know the what the different parts are called...only own one small stanely plane I bought 30 plus years ago at CT....lol

Thanks, Greg
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180608_113657489.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	1188771Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180608_113705623.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	1188772Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180608_113436692.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	1188773Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180608_113826444.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.20 MB ID:	1188774Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180608_113609576.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	1188775Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180608_113632540.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	1188776Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180608_113615935.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	1188777Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180608_113836822.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	1188778Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180608_113840211.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	1188779
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: A. Monty handplane..a gift from my cousin...very cool...

Wooden planes are actually very common and many tradesmen made their own. The concept is pretty simple as is the wedge holding everything in place. This could have been made by a company as well as an individual. Someone here may know.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks Rusty, I wasn't aware so many planes were made out of wood, minus the blades of course.

I had a bit more time this morning, and came up with this site. Looks like the business was done in 1927. This plane has their stamp on the end....hard to see in picture, and hard to make out what the bottom of the stamp says, but it has the 3 stars. Not being a hand tool guy, I found this very interesting and more than likely the craftsman that used this plane could probably get things flatter than I can with my dewalt planer....lol

Greg

http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com...country_3.html

Comment

It could have been one of the ones that Lee Valley had for their vintage hand plane sale - I ended up picking up a similar looking plane in Edmonton during that sale in 2012, then bought four coffin shaped planes (two smoothers, two block planes) for my kids when they came to Calgary a few years later. There were tons of wooden planes for sale and cheap, very cheap.

Mine had a slight warp so I ended up running it through my jointer to get the bottom flat and square to the sides.

John
        Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

Could very be John. It was at a complex that is used for flea markets RV shows stuff like that, and it had many booths of different stuff. I can't remember if she said they had more vintage tools or not...I was kinda excited when she was telling me..lol...Wow so you actually use the old planes...I'm thinking this big boy has probably earned it's retirement, plus it does have a few cracks in it...I don't want too fill them or anything, I'd rather admire it's history...but then again I don't have much hand plane experience...lol
          Greg

Comment

The plane you have is stamped Roxton Pond, P.Q. (Province of Quebec) and the maker is Arther Monty.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	1188838

The A Monty plane making factory.
            Pic from Societe d'Histore de la Haute Yamaska (SHHY)

The history can be read here. https://thevalleywoodworker.blogspot...nd-quebec.html
            Last edited by Kunzwerks; 06-09-2018, 09:19 PM.
            WCraig and like this.
            Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by gnlman View Post
              Could very be John. It was at a complex that is used for flea markets RV shows stuff like that, and it had many booths of different stuff. I can't remember if she said they had more vintage tools or not...I was kinda excited when she was telling me..lol...Wow so you actually use the old planes...I'm thinking this big boy has probably earned it's retirement, plus it does have a few cracks in it...I don't want too fill them or anything, I'd rather admire it's history...but then again I don't have much hand plane experience...lol
              Greg
              I bought it to use instead of scouring for a metal #7 or #8 (and the price was better). I've used it a handful of times in the last 6 years but haven't had an easy way to sharpen it - my water stones are narrower than the blade. I haven't even tuned it up at all, works great the way I bought it (other than running it over the jointer).

John

P.S. That knob set in front of the throat is actually a button for tapping with your plane hammer - I forget which direction tapping there drives the blade, I usually tap the blade itself to advance the blade, then tap the rear of the plane to back it off again.
              Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

The Monty factory was one of many plane makers in the Roxton Pond area. Most started working for him and then set out on their own. Stanley bought the Monte factory and made planes there until I believe the 1950's. Most other makers either sold to Stanley or moved on. Here is a link to some info.
                http://www.urbexplayground.com/urbex...bandoned-plant
                Enjoy this bit of Canadian history
                Larry
                www.grandpastreasureschest.com

Comment

Originally posted by gnlman View Post
                  Greg
                  If the cracks are no where near the wedge and mouth you can still use it . If the cracks are in the cheeks near the mouth then definitely not. If the iron had a very,very slight radius it would be good for reproducing that antique look on cabinet backs getting rid of that machined look of planers .

Comment

Working...
                  X