Log Cabin Built using Hand Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log Cabin Built using Hand Tools

I came across this Youtube video and was so intriqued by this man's hand tool skills that I felt it worthy of sharing.

Enjoy!
    Normand Leblanc, eilliac and 4 others like this.
    All the best,

Marty

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Log Cabin Built using Hand Tools

Hi Marty,

Thanks for posting the link - this guy is quite skilled. What I found ironic is that he is mostly/completely off-grid but he is connected enough to have a youtube channel with close to half a million viewers

David
    WCraig likes this.

Comment

His work is first class, for sure and I like his approach to the work.

This guy is worth a look as well; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWNr-XeP9Jg
      The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

That fella has a lot of stamina. That was some heavy lifting lifting he was doing. Very skilled in his processes.

Comment

One thing I don't understand, but I have never worked with wood like that, or taken the time to read about it.

The video shows him felling trees in April 2017, then it shows him building the cabin in the fall of 2017. It seems to imply that he is using tress that he cut down himself for the construction. Given the amount of finished lumber used, that assumption may not be valid.....

If he is using the trees he cut down - wouldn't those trees be very green? Or does one use green trees for building a structure?

Comment

The logs were green and I would think the lumber was purchased BUT,,,,,,some of the lumber looks to be rough sawn. So realistically it could be a mix of all 3.

I never got to see the complete video but from what I did see which was up to the point of chinking inside I have concerns for the survival of the windows. Those logs will shrink and I did not notice any allowance above the windows for that settling and the windows will definitely not support that load.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

I've got the video on standby but haven't had a chance to look at all of it yet. Log cabins are almost always made of green wood. Like Rusty says, there is always allowances made for shrinking (and seasonal expansion) with doors, windows, and even interior wall structures.
              Frank
              SPCHT

Comment

If you go to the part where he installs the first window it appears that he put 2 conventional rough sawn timbers on either side of the window opening that are full length as well. Those timbers will not shrink very much in length but they will or at least could cause issues with the wall outside the window openings to cause log separation. What he did do is cut out the logs under the windows and install vertical timber pieces in place. So realistically he has timber support all the way from the base to the top of the window. This could save the window but not the wall. If the logs shrink 1/8th inch each you can see why most log builders allow for this kind of movement. In any type of construction the structure is the sum of it's parts. We can all learn from vids like this.

I wish he had shown a little more detail of his roof.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks for sharing that Marty. I noticed that the chap did a lot of shopping at Lee Valley!

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by rfielder View Post
                    One thing I don't understand, but I have never worked with wood like that, or taken the time to read about it.

The video shows him felling trees in April 2017, then it shows him building the cabin in the fall of 2017. It seems to imply that he is using tress that he cut down himself for the construction. Given the amount of finished lumber used, that assumption may not be valid.....

If he is using the trees he cut down - wouldn't those trees be very green? Or does one use green trees for building a structure?
                    The logs have been run through a lathe to make them all the same diameter.
                    All the openings are done improperly and will result in large gaps if those logs are green and shrink.

With more thought:
                    The logs were dried.
                    Note how easily they were handled.
                    Hand saw indicated dry wood by cut & noise.
                    Chisel work on notches indicated dry wood.
                    Last edited by Egon; 06-23-2018, 07:24 PM.
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                      With more thought:
                      The logs were dried.
                      Note how easily they were handled.
                      Hand saw indicated dry wood by cut & noise.
                      Chisel work on notches indicated dry wood.
                      In other words, the video is a bit misleading, at least in terms of the material used?

Would trees cut down in April be dried to that extent by September/October?

Comment

I can not verify any of my observations.
                        They are based on having built a log house using turned & longitudinal grooved with a kerf to centreline logs which were green. They also looked to be the same diameter. I'm not too strong but mine did not handle as easily as those in the video. My log walls of nine feet settled about eight inches as I recall.
                        Video departure from the basics of openings is also not quite on going with normal construction.

Time frame for hand cut logs in April to completion in fall by one man with no power or mechanical help is questionable.

To to me there seems to be a few things lacking?
                        Egon
                        from
                        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by rfielder View Post
                          In other words, the video is a bit misleading, at least in terms of the material used?

Would trees cut down in April be dried to that extent by September/October?
                          It would depend on the type of trees used; eastern white cedar would be fine to use with 6 months drying time. The chap in the video was using tree logs as opposed to turned ones and one can see that the wood was dry by the time he was using it. Just look at the sawdust he is generating; clearly dry wood.

I would not suggest that the video is misleading at all. He documented what he did; misinterpretations may have crept in from commenters.

IMHO anyway.

Ken
                          Last edited by KenL; 06-26-2018, 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

If you look closely at some of the shots of the logs you can see the marks on them of having been turned, the problem of shrinking is only where there is wood in the vertical direction, like door and window openings, where these frames are not shrinking like the logs of the walls, so there will be gaps where the door and window framed openings are not able to accommodate the shrinking of the logs.

Also he is using a lot of sawn boards for things like the floor and the door and the window framing, also the whole roof is build with sawn boards, yes nice video for those that do not know the how and why.

Leo in Ottawa
                            Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 06-26-2018, 07:01 PM.

Have fun and take care
                            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

As a video for (as Leo said), those who do not know and likely will have no further interest, it's decent entertainment. As far as "building by hand" and "off the grid" etc, ..... I don't think so. There is plenty of machined lumber being used. He didn't mill that stuff out in the bush by hand. I am curious about his technique for stacking the logs ... there's no scribing to nest the logs on top of each other, so ALL the sealing and insulation has to come from chinking? I built a chicken coop/firewood storage building many years ago from logs I harvested in the bush behind our shack. I was young then ... fresh out of the gold mines ... I couldn't lift my logs by myself ... his are dry and that didn't happen in one season. I used a chainsaw to roughly carve mine out for nesting and I notched the ends with a big mallet and chisel. I still had to do a LOT of chinking fill. Mine was nowhere near as pretty as his though ... I'll give him that, but my chickens didn't mind.

It was fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X