Northern King Plane Value?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern King Plane Value?

I have a 12 inch grooved base Northern King plane in used condition. What is value and are parts available?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Northern King Plane Value?

I've never heard of any of their brands nor seen them listed at auction but the Mid West Tool Collectors Association shows a manufacturer....

Zenith Tools and Cutlery, Marshall-Wells Hdwe Co. Duluth Minn c 1910. 138 pages. Their major brand name was Zenith. Second quality tools were branded Marswells, Hartford, Superior Northern King.

Some photos would be nice.

Comment

Prob not a lot of value, especially if it’s not complete.
      There are a few brands that have a ton of value but most do not.

It might be worth fixing up to be a good user.

Nathan

Comment

Here are some pictures.

Comment

Looks like a solid user.
          KenL likes this.

Comment

Agree with the above ^^^

If you sharpen the iron you might be able to get 30-50 for it

Nathan

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have an exactly same Northern King No. 5 plane and another almost identical plane but without any branding. I can say they are at best softwood or soft hardwood users.

I tried really hard to make it work as well as it can. I could get very fine shavings on pine, which my local plane guru called "awesome shaving". But with decently hard hardwood, I got chatter and skip all the time.

Studying this plane closely, I find it is probably a clone or rebranded Defiance plane. It was obviously made for a economical line - the frog seating area doesn't have support at the lower front and this is probably the fatal root cause of it not being able to take any serious challenge. Also you can tell it's cheaply made because as a No. 5 the tote doesn't have a screw at the front in addition to the rod screw.

In the end, I just put a large camber on the iron and use it to hog off bark or thickness pine boards (tasks like reducing 1/4 inch thickness from a pine board). I keep the plane just in case a neighbor wants to borrow a plane from me to fix a tight fence door.
              Kayak Jim likes this.

Comment

Working...
              X