Lie-Nielsen vs. IBC vs. (Insert Manufacturer Here) Hand/Bench Plane Blades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lie-Nielsen vs. IBC vs. (Insert Manufacturer Here) Hand/Bench Plane Blades

I’ve got a couple of hand/bench planes that I’ve really really enjoyed using since I purchased my first one about 6 months ago. I’ve got one Woodriver block plane and a Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane that I use occasionally, I’ve got a Lie-Nielsen Rabbet Block Plane that I hide the nickers on and use as my main block plane, a Lie-Nielsen No. 4 and a L.N. No. 6. All the planes have the original plane blades in them. I’m a member of Rob Cosman’s Purple Heart Program and as a member have perused his website and seen that he is a big advocate of Woodcraft/Wood River as well as a few other companies like PEC and IBC. I’m wondering if anyone has had experience with both the Lie-Nielsen plane blades as well as the IBC and what your thoughts are on the two. My main interest is in the IBC plane blades for my L.N. No. 4 and No. 6 as those are the two planes I own use almost daily.

I know that Lie-Nielsen blades are A2 steel, have a Rockwell Hardness of 60-62, are cryogenically treated, and for the #4 bench plane, is 0.125” thick and sells for $40 ($50 for the #6 blade).
    The Lie Nielsen chipbreaker is also 0.125” thick and priced at $25 for the No. 4 and $30 for the No. 6. The chipbreakers have a 0.015” lip ground at 1 degree for snugging up tightly to the blade.

The IBC blades and chipbreakers that are compatible with Lie-Nielsen planes can be purchased as a combo. The No. 4 set is actually more expensive than the Lie-Nielsen brand at $74.90 (versus $65 for L.N.). The No. 6 IBC combo sells for $78.90 versus $80 for the L.N. The IBC blades are high Vanadium A2 tool steel (not sure if L.N. blades are high Vanadium) and are a little thicker at 0.140”. They have the same Rockwell Hardness of 60-62 and are also cryogenically treated. The IBC chipbreakers claim to be unique in that they are made of “high-carbon 0-1 steel, 0.125” thick and hardened to 30-32 HRc for added stiffness. The bevels are mated to a flatness tolerance of +/-0.001” along the entire cutting edge width.

What I’ve explained above is essentially all of the information available on both L.N. and IBC websites. They sound extremely similar but obviously, there may be intangible differences that differentiate these two from one another. If you’ve had experience using, sharpening, flattening, or any other encounters with both versions, I’d love to hear your feedback. Again, I’ve only ever used L.N. blades in my L.N. planes and have very little usage of the Veritas PM-V11 tool steel as I’ve only used it when cleaning out a dado or rabbet with my medium shoulder plane. I’m not even certain what blade is in my Wood River (I’m assuming it is Wood River or an equivalent). I want to get an extra blade and chipbreaker for each of them so that if the original blade gets dull on me, I’m able to get my plane back up and running without having to stop to resharpen immediately.

Lastly, in the past couple of minutes as I was researching the IBC blades, I discovered that I couldn't get them to ship to me in the mainland U.S. as of right now (I think it is because I have a quirky street address system). I went on a few other woodworking websites to see if they sold IBC blades and realized there are at least a few other options in terms of blade manufacturers that could fit the L.N. bench planes I own. If you've tried some of these other blades and chipbreakers in your L.N. and are thrilled with the results, you are certainly welcome to share that information as well. I have heard of "Hock" but know nothing about it. Highland Woodworking sells a 2" wide blade and chipbreaker set for $80 so depending on whether that would fit the L.N., it may be another option.

Thanks for sharing in advance (assuming somebody does ),

Dan

A more precise cost comparison:

L.N. No. 4 blade, chipbreaker, S&H = $40+25+7.91 = $72.91

IBC No. 4 blade and chipbreaker combo = $74.90 + Unknown S&H

L.N. No. 6 blade, C.B., S&H = $50+30+7.91 = $87.91

IBC No. 6 blade and C.B. combo = $80 + Unknown S&H
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Lie-Nielsen vs. IBC vs. (Insert Manufacturer Here) Hand/Bench Plane Blades

Since the IBC and LN blades are the same price, I'd stick with LN. There are sometimes fit problems with switching- usually due to thickness but not exclusively.

Comment

I have Lee Valley, Hock and a few L.N. blades in all my user planes and all are of high quality and no complaints. The Veritas PMV11 blades are the best in terms of ease of sharpening and edge holding and are worth the extra $$ in my opinion.
      KenL and smallerstick like this.
      Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

LV, Hock and LN are all reputable, reliable makers. Why look further?
        The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

All of my modern planes are Veritas planes with Veritas irons in A2, one in O1 and one in PMV-11 (my first one!). I also have some older Record, Stanley, etc., spoke shaves and planes with their OEM irons which might one day be treated to new irons if I ever wear out the existing irons (which I expect means that I will never change them out)!

I cannot imagine that any improvement could be made to the performance of a Veritas plane with its stock iron and would be shocked if that same did not apply to Lie Nielsen planes as well. 6 months is not much time on a plane iron even if it is used daily so I am surprised that LN irons would require replacing after such a short time. IBC irons are reputed to be very good; better than Veritas or Lee Nielsen is probably going to generate lots of debate but, IMO anyway, is a dubious claim.

My 2 cents worth

Ken
          smallerstick likes this.

Comment

The IBC irons have a higher vanadium content than regular A2 steel, which has has 0.5% vanadium already. What difference that makes, I have no idea, however since RC sells them, he should know. Send him an email.

Keep in mind, the marketing machine is in full force, as manufacturers make claims on the superiority of their cutting irons. For me, tool steel or high carbon steel irons are favoured. Others will disagree, which is fine with me. To each their own. I have not tried them all, but I do notice a difference, not in the sharpness I can achieve, but the the ease of sharpening and more importantly for me, the durability (toughness) to maintain a sharp edge.

Why not purchase one of the other irons and see how it works for you?
            smallerstick and KenL like this.
            Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

A some more info. for those that need to know.

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/bladetest.html
              smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Hi Dan,

Sounds like you want to take the stock engine out of your Ferrari and put in a Lamborghini engine. They are all fine blades and you will not be disappointed with any choice. Save your money and by more hand tools.
                smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunzwerks View Post
                  A some more info. for those that need to know.

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/bladetest.html
                  Fascinating results; not what I would have expected at all. Thanks for the link.
                  The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Originally posted by smallerstick View Post

Fascinating results; not what I would have expected at all. Thanks for the link.
                    j

You're welcome.

smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X