completed picture frames

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• completed picture frames

So, here I am, finishing off a project just in time for Xmas, and it isn't an Xmas gift. These days I don't care what I work on or when, shop time is a Good Thing, just enjoy it.

I started with the blandest straight grained cherry I could find in the wood rack. I will be sticking moldings in both directions on this stuff, so it has to have impossible grain for that to work perfectly. I will have to settle for Good Enough grain. I planed all the faces with an old Stanley #7 jointer plane. This plane has a very short original iron in it, and I have no idea if the sole is flat or square to the sides. It works if you make it sharp. Hooray for sharp!

I inspected each stick and selected the best grain for the ovolo, and marked the rebate on the face opposite the ovolo. The first operation was to cut the rebates. I used a plain old Stanley #78 for this, set very rank, with loads of chatter and actual chips instead of shavings coming out of it. It does not take long to create a rebate with this tool. In the end, when the depth stop engages, the cut is limited and the tearout is reduced leaving a smooth finish.

Then I cut the ovolo profile on each stick. I usually start with a couple of passes end-to-end, to get a feel for where the grain is the worst. Then I cut the profile at the far end, and work my way back. If you take care to have a fairly short run where the grain is bad then you are planing downhill just that wee bit more over the bad section. That helps a lot with tearout. I will have to draw a diagram of this some day, as words do not convey the idea very well.

The last plane is a 1/2 inch unboxed bead. This plane is manufactured but has no maker or owner marks, but it works very well. After all the molding is done I burnished the profiles with a handful of shavings, which makes a very smooth even finish, no sanding required.

I cut the stock to rough length with a short little Simonds crosscut, and then did the finish cuts with my cute little mitre trimmer. Sometimes I miss the old Oliver #2 trimmer I used to own, but I really like the 16 square feet of floor space I got back when I sold that beast. I glued the frames together using a band clamp and vee-nails, and my wife took the completed frames to the local glass shop. They did a nice job on the glass, and then I had to mount the artwork. These are illuminated scrolls from playing in the SCA, awards of arms, Letters or Marque, and such.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1215245Click image for larger version

Name:	frame02.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1215244Click image for larger version

Name:	frame03.jpg
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1215243Click image for larger version

Name:	frame04.jpg
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	1215242Click image for larger version

Name:	frame06.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	1215246Click image for larger version

Name:	frame08.jpg
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	1215241Click image for larger version

Name:	frame07.jpg
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	1215239Click image for larger version

Name:	frame09.jpg
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	1215240
    Attached Files
    WCraig, Ed in Leaside and 2 others like this.
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: completed picture frames

Great story with some interesting techniques and a beautiful result. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas. -Wayne

Comment

Creative Anachronism. Appropriate, considering.

Comment

Great write up Darrell. Your posts are the most fun to read on the whole board. The frames of course look great. Merry Christmas season.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I listened, but couldn't hear the hum of any machinery.
          Traditionally made picture frames.
          Verrry nice.

Noel
          "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "
          John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Working...
          X