Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimPTBO
    replied
    In the keep crowd here. Save the Veritas chisels for all your detailed work. Sharpen up the old blue ones ala Paul Sellers and use for all the hammer or mallet work.

I find old chisels handy to have around, especially if you are trying out different bevels for softwoods and hardwoods. Also good to have around if you change or add to your grinding and honing methods.

Leave a comment:

• Andre in Quebec
    replied
    Get rid of the ugly plastic handles & turn nice ones on a lathe to fit on them.

Even if u don't use them much you'll have a nice set of chisels on display.

Plenty of models available for inspiration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chisel Handles.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1215920

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    My LV chisels have not impressed me any more than any others. You can't have too many.

Leave a comment:

• KenL
    replied
    I have 35 year old Marples Bluechip chisels that were the first decent wood working hand tools I ever bought! When I got newer chisel sets, I kept the Marples ones and even fleshed the set out to include all 9 sizes. They are not the prettiest chisels that I have but are still my "reach-for" set when chopping because they are nearly indestructible when used in conjunction with a wooden mallet whereas all of my other chisels have wooden handles. One set is Indian Rosewood and they never are struck except with the heel of my hand or a polyurethane mallet (I absolutely hate to mess up tools!) and the other set is less well suited to chopping because of the low angle they are sharpened at for hand paring and such.

I would keep your old chisels (and might I say that I envy, at least a tad, you for the Veritas set?) or donate them to a charity. Regrinding them seems a cruel fate for old friends! Besides, you want skew chisels to be the same size left and right; the Narex ones that LV sells are quite nice (I have them) as are the Veritas ones that are currently discontinued but might be found in the used market as would other marques.

My 2 cents

Ken

Leave a comment:

• dave_k
    replied
    Originally posted by WCraig View Post

Screwdrivers, obviously!

Craig
    (Ducking and running! )
    In my experience I'm more likely to turn a screwdriver into a chisel than a chisel into a screwdriver ..... way less grinding.

Leave a comment:

• dave_k
    replied
    Turning them into skew chisels isn't a bad idea. If they were real old Marples made with Sheffield steel I would just hold onto them and keep them sharp, like clamps, bandsaws and table saws you can never have too many sharp chisels. If they're the cheap knockoffs that are sold as Marples brand today use them as paint can openers, door stops, putty knives or throw them at the squirrels on the bird feeder.

Leave a comment:

• yvrdennis
    replied
    Originally posted by WCraig View Post

Screwdrivers, obviously!

Craig
    (Ducking and running! )
    That's a great idea! Then I can turn my screwdrivers into pry bars for when my brother in law comes over

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    I have a set of blue Marples and then came across a great deal on a set of Lee Valley chisels. I still use the Marples for most things but I keep the LV ones razor sharp and only use them on Sundays.

Leave a comment:

• WCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by yvrdennis View Post
    So my wife gave me a set of the Veritas PM-V11 chisels for Christmas! They're great. But I'm now wondering what to do with my old blue handle chisels. I'm thinking of grinding a couple into left & right skews for blind dovetails. Any ideas for what to do with the others?
    Screwdrivers, obviously!

Craig
    (Ducking and running! )

Leave a comment:

• sarir
    replied
    Any charity would love them. I donate to a local Mennonite mission and they are sent to third world countries. I do this for any non electrical tool that most woodworkers here won't use.
    Larry

Leave a comment:

• mikeddd
    replied
    Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
    Keep them for the jobs you dare not use your better set on
    I have an old set that I use for the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• beakie
    replied
    Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
    that's what I do with the HDepot specials I originally bought years ago.
    the Beavers are my "nice" set, and are kept in much better shape.

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied

Leave a comment:

• yvrdennis
    started a topic What To Do With An Old Set of Blue Handled Chisels

What To Do With An Old Set of Blue Handled Chisels

So my wife gave me a set of the Veritas PM-V11 chisels for Christmas! They're great. But I'm now wondering what to do with my old blue handle chisels. I'm thinking of grinding a couple into left & right skews for blind dovetails. Any ideas for what to do with the others?
Working...
X