What planes do I have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What planes do I have?

I found these planes in storage and would like to eventually attempt to restore them. I know almost nothing about planes and their variety of uses and styles.

I'm looking to find out what kind of planes I have, what their specific purposes are etc. Thanks in advance.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: What planes do I have?

There's lots of information out there and I'm not going to regurgitate it. Here are a couple of many links
    https://www.popularwoodworking.com/p...g-hand-planes/

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/tipstechniques/metal-hand-plane-tune
    Last edited by Kayak Jim; 01-14-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Those look like Bailey's, but not sure since the photo doesn't show the make. Judging by the lateral adjustment lever, these are quite early in manufacturer. Could be worth more than you think, but I'll let others weigh in on that.

BTW, there is a lot of info. on handplanes on the Internet and would hold off on any restoration, until you learn more.
      Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

You have a smoother (the smaller one) and a jack plane. The other fellows gave good guidance as to how to identify the maker, models and the age of the tools; there are lots of data on hand planes but be selective about restoration advice should you decide that yours need restoring as there is a lot of garbage out there on the "disinformation net".

Ken

Comment

Old planes don't go for big bucks but it can be rewarding to get em going.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Old planes don't go for big bucks but it can be rewarding to get em going.
            Define "big bucks". Some go for more than others.

Stanley No. 1 -- Sweetheart era: USD $975
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RAR...sAAOSwD2lcLV9s

Not that the OP has anything like that.

Craig

Comment

Restoring old planes, like old power tools, can be rewarding. My old mans #6 Bailey was a rusty piece of junk with broken tote and knob when I rescued it from his ancient toolbox. I made new cherry tote/knob, coat of paint, flattened the sole, new iron from Lee Valley and now it is a beautiful plane to look at AND use. It rivals the Low Angle Jack I bought from Lee Valley on side grain. I can take off tissue thin shavings with it. Great sentimental value as well. The old man would be smiling if he could see me using it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0221.JPG Views:	1 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	1219016
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0220.JPG Views:	1 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	1219017
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Bailey no 6.JPG Views:	1 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	1219018
              Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 01-14-2019, 03:53 PM.
              saltcod and Les Groeller like this.
              Cheers
              Randy

Comment

Originally posted by WCraig View Post

Define "big bucks". Some go for more than others.

Stanley No. 1 -- Sweetheart era: USD $975
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RAR...sAAOSwD2lcLV9s

Not that the OP has anything like that.

Craig
                Nice buy. Do you have or know of any others like it?
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Nice buy. Do you have or know of any others like it?
                  I'm cheap and I enjoy refurbishing tools. I think my most expensive planes are a couple of infill shoulder planes. Together, they cost far less than above.

For those with deep pockets and a burning desire for objects of art that also happen to be tools...

https://mjdtools.com

Craig

Comment

They look like Stanley planes probably made at Roxton Pond Canada . i would suggest that they were either made for another retailer and were their inexpensive line . The lateral lever has a folded tip ,no mention of Stanley on the plane or cutter as far as I can see. Lever cap does not have the later kidney shaped hole . Bottom line not of great value to a collector but would make a fun restoration and a fair /good user
                    Below is an example of a rarity and a drool over for collectors . A low angle smoother valued at 3 or 4 No.1's
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	stanley planes441.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.45 MB ID:	1219196
                    Last edited by jay; 01-15-2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                      Below is an example of a rarity and a drool over for collectors . A low angle smoother valued at 3 or 4 No.1's
                      Click image for larger version Name:	stanley planes441.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.45 MB ID:	1219196
                      Yours or ?

Comment

Jim because of the size of my hands I found I needed about four No. 1s so it was cheaper to buy a low angle smoother

Comment

Working...
                        X