Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement tamper handle

Hello

While working on a project outside I used a hand tamper a lot, the type with a wooden handle and a square plate on the bottom.

Somehow the handle broke off right at the base. Probably from old age more than my use of it, I don't think I abused it.

I managed to drill and chisel the stub out of the metal and I thought the hard part was over, I just need to get a new handle - looks like exactly 1.5" in diameter.

But I can't find any place that sells such things. The closest I could find was broom handles.

Does anyone here know where I should look? Or do people typically not bother to fix such things?

Thanks in advance.
    Andrew Smith
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Replacement tamper handle

have someone turn one for you - customized to your preferences.

Noel
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Mennonite farm supply store. They'll have those things.

Comment

Local stand of poplar trees. Just pick on that looks right, trim down the end and peel off the bark.
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Look for a shovel handle.
          John
          Kayak Jim and Les Groeller like this.
          If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post
            Hello

While working on a project outside I used a hand tamper a lot, the type with a wooden handle and a square plate on the bottom.

Somehow the handle broke off right at the base. Probably from old age more than my use of it, I don't think I abused it.

I managed to drill and chisel the stub out of the metal and I thought the hard part was over, I just need to get a new handle - looks like exactly 1.5" in diameter.

But I can't find any place that sells such things. The closest I could find was broom handles.

Does anyone here know where I should look? Or do people typically not bother to fix such things?

Thanks in advance.
            How about this with an adapter to fit.
            Maybe this one at Lowes .Scroll down to 1 1/2" .
            Last edited by Wally in Calgary; 01-23-2019, 06:31 PM.

Comment

If it broke off at the base can't you just use the handle you have? It will only be a bit shorter.
              Steve The Drill Sergeant
              Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

replace it with steel pipe!
                John@Hamilton likes this.

Comment

Or this one at Home Depot.
                  https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...000400409.html
                  John
                  If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

Reshape the old handle if there is enough wood left. I usually use my 1" wide belt sander. I have done shovel handles, replace rivet with a wood screw.
                    sigpic
                    hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Maybe one of the woodworkers here could make one for you. You might even be able to borrow the round over bit you need.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

I fix such things since I don't support the throw-away society philosophically! You surely have the technology at hand to repair your tamper?? You can turn a new handle; repurpose a shovel handle; make a new handle from a 4 foot dowel; reuse the old one (which might be a tad too short?); get a spokeshave (if you don't already own one) and make a square billet into a new handle (it will take only a few minutes to do and makes a nice pile of shavings); and there are probably many other ways to execute your repair. The only option offered so far that I would avoid is the steel pipe solution because steel transmits vibration worse and is more slippery than wood but that is also a way to get it back into service.

Ken

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'll see what comes up first. I'm very tall so even the original handle was too short for me, and typical shovel handles are not thick enough. But of all the options I'm sure something will work.

I don't have a lathe but I could probably plane a square stick enough that it's not uncomfortable.

I'm even tempted by the idea of cutting down a small tree for this purpose. That would be a learning experience!
                          Andrew Smith

Comment

Just remember that only the area the plate and your hands come in contact with need shaping.
                            Egon
                            from
                            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                            X