LN 140 skew block plane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LN 140 skew block plane

Hello, I recently picked up a LN skew block, but it doesnít seem to conform to any of the models they may have sold over the years.
    From what I can tell itís white bronze cap, fence and side plate. And the body is iron. Itís all a bit short then the current model at 6-5/8 long.
    any idea if this was a special edition or something.
    Here are some pics.
    Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1CE88BD-04C8-4873-B03A-124740D36FA7.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	1221513Click image for larger version

Name:	A1C4CE40-1968-4726-8BF3-A87D5891601D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	1221514
    nnieman likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: LN 140 skew block plane

I believe this is one of their early pre-production runs before final design changes to what is currently being marketed. Probably not worth a lot. Let me know if you want me to take it off your hands. I'll even pay for shipping !
    Measure twice, cut once ... and if that doesn't work try again

Comment

Donít know much about the LN specifically but I have a Millers Falls 07 which was their version of the 140. It is one of my ďgo-toĒ planes.
      smallerstick likes this.

Comment

I had an online chat with LN, they indicated that it might be a limited run for Fine tools journal or woodcraft in the early 2000.
        So I don't think anything more special then the current model.
        Thanks...

Comment

Nice stealth gloat.
          Ccelenza and KenL like this.

Comment

Nice score! Like ub1chris , my Stanley 140 is an indispensable part of my shop.
            Ccelenza likes this.
            The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Interesting that some of you are highly attached to your LN skew block planes. I had one for many years but never really rated it. When LV brought out the Veritas I bought one of those and sold the LN. In my opinion, the Veritas is vastly superior, most importantly in the area of rigidity. The fundamental flaw in the original Stanley and all the copies, including the LN, is the open side which means the sole depends almost entirely on the casting on the non-detachable side for stabilty. It also means that the plane is highly vulnerable to serious damage if dropped - catastrophic in the case of the Stanley because the casting is likely to break at its narrowest point. By the way, I do love the Veritas.

Generally speaking, I will choose Veritas over LN simply on the grounds that I prefer to buy from an outfit that innovates to make tools better rather than simply copying an old design and making it to a higher standard. Having said that, LV don't always get it right - the supposedly premium DX/NX block plane is, for my average sized hands, ergonomically inferior to the equivalent LN because it too low. The result of this is that the plane must be driven with the fingers rather than from the palm making it much more fatiguing to use. Off topic for this thread but I would be interested to hear the views of others.

Jim
              carbonBased likes this.

Comment

Generally speaking I like the bevel down bench planes from LN, I think itís a tried tested and true design. And I prefer LV bevel up planes. I like there design and does a better job. I specially like how they use the same size blade for there jointer, jack and bu smoother. With respec to the block plane. I like both, I also have the dx60 and really like it.
                On the whole I like LV other accessory planes. Like the router plane, shoulder planes, edge trimming plane, etc...
                non the less they are both amazing planes.

Comment

Working...
                X