bench planes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bench planes

I absolutely agree Frank but to a seasoned vet those things would at least be visible wouldn't you think?
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Early in my refurbishing plane journey I picked up a 1949 Stanley # 4 across the line. By the time I finished, I thought a Vertas plane was hellva good deal. It was that much work.

Comment

Did you buy it sight unseen? Just kidding BTW.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

If you put your hand over one eye and close the other..........

Comment

Originally posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
            If you put your hand over one eye and close the other..........
            LOL that's how I choose my lottery tickets.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

For about 150$ you should be able to find a set of Stanley No 4, 5 and 7 in decent shape. With this you will have your starter set to fulfill of your planing dream. Moreover you will learn how to clean, maintain and set them. You will have time later on to go to premium line of planes when you will master them, if you find that you need them.
              The Off-grid Wood Butcher
              https://offgrid-woodbutcher.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I am going to join the side of those who recommend a new Veritas plane vs an old Stanley for the tyro wood worker. I have refurbished and re manufactured planes from antique Stanleys to newish Groz (that is quite a trick to accomplish may I say?); in my experience most of the older stuff has lots of wear and tear on it and the inexpensive newer stuff is so poorly made as to require a high degree of machining skill to get it to work right (at all!!). How is the tyro wood-worker/hand plane user to tell who is at fault the plane or the person wielding it? The simple answer is that is an irresolvable conundrum. If the tyro starts out with a known entity like a Veritas or an already well set-up Stanley (or similar) that doesn't require the user to compensate for the shortcomings of the tool, the path to hand plane happiness will be much shorter and a whole lot less frustrating.

Most experienced users know how to tap/touch/hold an old plane to get it to work and many are, from personal observation, pretty much unaware that they are doing it. New, quality planes like the Veritas and Lie Nielsen lines don't need that degree of expertise to make them work acceptably right out of the box. In fact the irons come from the factories sharp enough to work softer woods until the tyro learns how to set-up and use his shiny new acquisition.

My 2 cents on the subject.

Ken
                nugsthecat and Kayak Jim like this.

Comment

Check Kijji,there is a mint low angle veritas Jack in toronto

Comment

^ what Al said. I'd jump on that one.

That LAJ will give you a ton of mileage. You can do almost everything with that plane (though don't tell your wife, she'll stop buying you new ones for Christmas!).

I use mine for rough work, flattening, smoothing, jointing, shooting, etc. Get a second $50 blade and put a higher angle on it. It's almost always the first plane I reach for, and would be the first I'd get if I was starting from scratch now.

KenL likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X