X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downwindtracker2
    replied
    Ken what do they yell out in a bingo hall when someone wins, Dark Blue

My Dad use to point out to his brothers how much I looked like my grandfather, so I guess I got his looks, it wasn't a bad inheritance.

Thanks again Ken

Ray
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 03-26-2019, 10:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KenL
    replied
    Mine had dark blue paint and a decal originally but there isn't a trace of paint left on it after all these years. That old axe did a ton of work over the years and is a lot shorter in the bits than it started out. I am sorry to hear of the loss of that invaluable link to your grandfather as that is a thing that I missed out on entirely.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• Downwindtracker2
    replied
    Thanks Ken, was it blue? the CT ones were red. The handle was 24", short for a 3# or so axe. Interesting no weight stamps.

My grandfather was a poor man, my only inheritance was a passed down hatchet and a double bitted axe. Even then I think I did better than any of my cousins. The double bitted axe along with my rigger's axe was stolen from my cabin when I was away working, . Nothing to be done about that. So when I saw a Swedish double bitted at a thrift store, I bought it. I just looked up the stamp, a Crown over GBA, it's Gransfor Bruk . But not one of the current Gransfor that Lee Valley sells, more of a production than hand worked axe.

Leave a comment:

• KenL
    replied
    I think that the Beaver axes were made by Garant but cannot be sure since there might have been other suppliers?? My double bitted axe is about 50 years old, is a Garant and has no weight stamped on the head anywhere (it was bought new by my Dad and I inherited a few years ago; thanks Mom!). It was sold at the time as an axe head only; you had to supply and fit your own handle/wedge.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• Downwindtracker2
    started a topic Beaver Tradesman Axe ? Maker ?

Beaver Tradesman Axe ? Maker ?

I found a blue single bit Beaver Tradesman which I didn't know I had, a 3 # ? 24", when I went looking for my double bitted axe. Beaver Lumber was as a building supply company that went from 1906 to 2000. They died out locally about 30 years ago, maybe more. . So that would suggest a Canadian made time frame. It still had the half purchase tag, but not the price half,, and I have no idea of when and how I came into it .Likely a garage sale find. Who were the Canadian axe manufactures around 30 or 40 years ago. When I checked out the Garants in CT, they had the weights stamped into the end of the poll in pounds. There is no weight stamped anywhere on the Beaver.
Working...
X