My new mallet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new mallet

Another fun little project done. I wanted to build a personal mallet to go along with my chisels.The challenge was to use nothing but hand tools. About 16hours in, hand saw, Brace & bit, Files, sandpaper. Tomorrow a little bit of wax and maybe a hole for a leather shoe lace strap.

The handle is on a 2į angle. Handle is made out of dark walnut and the head White maple.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1A0A8958-4E48-4EEB-BA02-1B359ABB277A.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.03 MB ID:	1231746Click image for larger version  Name:	4DBE1A28-F267-4047-9168-9508878D7ADE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	1231747Click image for larger version  Name:	1D6560CD-5EDF-42AB-8E73-E5C84B318FF1.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	1231748Click image for larger version  Name:	7410C915-6EAA-4F4F-97C7-847CC986C464.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	1231745
    Last edited by Matt Matt; 04-02-2019, 11:22 PM.
    schor, Frank D. and 6 others like this.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Sir Isaac Newton.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: My new mallet

Great mallet . i do however question the comfort of the stopped corner detail ,much as I like the look.i would have continued it closer to the end of the handle as ii fear it makes the grip less comfortable. Obviously it is only my opinion

Comment

Looks good Matt! I think that Jay's comment above is a thing you should consider if you intend to use the mallet for long morticing or dovetailing sessions. I think those relatively sharp corners are going to be hard on the paws!

Ken

Comment

I tend to choke up on the handle. So the end where itís sharp is more of just extra weight for balancing.
        KenL likes this.
        Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BAD8E9F9-E46E-4DB6-A790-18028C3E5203.jpeg
Views:	363
Size:	745.8 KB
ID:	1231916 I would think the rectangular shape of the handle would make it easier for a secure grip.

On the other hand I just finished several mallets that have smaller diameter round handles. My hands are small.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	AF70EC66-B753-43EA-B59A-89A064F5198D.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	535.1 KB
ID:	1231915
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I don't own a Mallet but if I did I would want a fairly large and round or oval handle like a lathe axe and a large but medium weight head. I would also want a knob on the end of the handle like Egon's picture. The obvious issue for my thoughts would be wedging the handle into the head as opposed to a tapered handle sliding thru from the top unless I made a big mortise of course. Most likely I would wedge it like any hammer.

Is there a manufacturer of mallets who would be considered the best?
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
              My hands are small.
              Small hands eh? Sorry to hear that. Look on the bright side. You have something in common with the President of the United States!

Cheers
              Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

Small hands eh? Sorry to hear that. Look on the bright side. You have something in common with the President of the United States!
                That is a mean comparison. The current President of the US is not a person I would admire.

Small hands make a lot of tools difficult to use. One canít get a proper grip. It getís even more difficult if gloves have to be worn. Handling a chainsaw is a good example.
                Egon
                from

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post

That is a mean comparison. The current President of the US is not a person I would admire.

Small hands make a lot of tools difficult to use. One canít get a proper grip. It getís even more difficult if gloves have to be worn. Handling a chainsaw is a good example.
                  I get it. I hope you didn't take offence. Just joking around. I have skinny fingers and find some stock tool handles awkward.
                  Cheers
                  Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

I get it. I hope you didn't take offence. Just joking around. I have skinny fingers and find some stock tool handles awkward.
                    No offence. Got a laugh out of it.

But would suggest that the president has smaller hands just like mine. That would not be the least embarrassing.
                    Egon
                    from

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      I don't own a Mallet but if I did I would want a fairly large and round or oval handle like a lathe axe and a large but medium weight head. I would also want a knob on the end of the handle like Egon's picture. The obvious issue for my thoughts would be wedging the handle into the head as opposed to a tapered handle sliding thru from the top unless I made a big mortise of course. Most likely I would wedge it like any hammer.

Is there a manufacturer of mallets who would be considered the best?
                      Rusty, I teach a hand tool course. Mortice and tenon with taper fits are a big part of the project load. It is only a 42 hour course. The other two projects is building Moxen vice and... a hand tote with box joints mortice & tenon and dovetail joints only.

this is not an advanced course. Itís an introduction course. The tapered fit balance and finish is The important requirements. The shaping of the handle was left to each individual as artistic. The students are to use the mallets to create their tote. The comfort of the handle I left up to each individual. This is just my example rendition.

maybe next week Iíll have some totes to show you.
                      Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Over the centuries mallets have come in different sizes and shapes. Many times from what was available.
                        Egon
                        from

Comment

Have never made a mallet, what is the typical angle at which the faces are oriented to the handle axis? And does the face angle have any relation to the handle length? TIA, Roy
                          Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

When I made mine I found that the common recommendation was a 5 degree angle and a handle about the length of a hammer handle. The idea is that the line along the striking face should pass close to your knuckles (within an inch or two). It also depends on how you actually use the mallet, though, so you can start with 5 degrees and recut the face if the mallet leaves dents.
                            Frank
                            SPCHT

Comment

Frank....thanks for the info, Roy
                              Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Working...
                              X